New York, NY
The Firm’s private clients practice helps clients protect and administer family wealth, and plan for the transmission of wealth to family members and charities, with sophisticated but practical tax advice integrated into confidential estate plans that reflect clients’ family, charitable and business objectives.
The Private Clients paralegal will provide support to the U.S. private clients lawyers in all aspects of trust and estate administration.
- Prepare, edit and review probate or administration proceeding papers, collection and valuation of assets, payment of debts and bequests
- Prepare, edit and review federal and state estate tax returns
- Prepare, edit and review informal estate and trust accountings, administration of ongoing trusts, including distribution requests and income tax payments
- Review Form 1041s prepared by outside accountants
- Prepare, edit and review receipt and release agreements, fiduciary appointments and tax planning under the supervision of an attorney
- Be proactive in upcoming filing deadlines and meeting necessary deadlines
- Liaise with attorneys, clients and various government agencies and services
- 5+ years of experience in trusts and estates required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Estate administration experience, including work on large estates with complicated tax plans; preparation of Federal and State estate tax returns, probate documents and Surrogate’s Court related filings
- Knowledge of estate and trust income taxation
- Knowledge of fiduciary accounting preferred
- Experience with One Source Estate Tax Program (formerly FPS), NYSBA Surrogate’s Court program and Excel
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to effectively communicate and work directly with clients
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Flexibility to work outside regular business hours, including early mornings, evenings and weekends as needed
The base salary for this position is $100,000 to $130,000. Actual pay is determined based on a number of job-related factors, including skills, education, training, credentials, experience, scope and complexity of role responsibilities, geographic location and performance.
Salary: $100,000 – $130,000
Date Active: 9.29.2023
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt