New York, NY
Our client’s Renewable Energy subsidiary, which is a leading developer of renewable energy projects in the United States, seeks a resourceful and highly motivated individual to head its Tax group. The subsidiary is a market-leading owner and operator of renewable energy projects across the United States that acquires, develops, owns, operates, or has contracted more than 8 gigawatts of capacity among a portfolio of over 65 renewable energy projects. The individual in this role will become part of a small, inclusive, highly skilled team responsible for supporting the portfolio of wind and solar energy projects within a fast-paced environment that values collaboration, thoughtful problem-solving, and attention to detail.
In this role, you’ll oversee and manage the tax function for existing and new renewable projects across the U.S., as well as corporate entities. This will require liaising cross-functionally both internally and with external advisors to formulate, analyze, monitor, and implement strategy, compliance, and finance management for direct and indirect taxes. You’ll be expected to engage in tax modeling and various forms of federal, state, and local tax, accounting, management, and investor reporting, including tax filing review, taxable income forecasting, partnership accounting, hypothetical liquidation at book value (HLBV) modeling, yield tracking, deferred taxation (ASC 740), and budget vs. actual analysis. You’ll liaise with U.S.- and India-based deal team members, asset managers, treasury, affiliates’ tax teams, external consultants, and tax authorities for various tax-related matters. Responsibilities will include coordinating on key tax items across the company and focusing on initiatives related to establishing, standardizing, optimizing, and documenting tax processes, workflows, and controls.
- Candidates should have at least 6 to 12 years of experience with renewable energy tax and partnership concepts.
- In-depth knowledge of tax equity structures and taxability of pass-through entities (including tax allocations for complex tiered partnership structures) is required for this role. Knowledge of financial principles and experience with complex transactions are pluses.
- Experience building and/or reviewing complex tax models in Excel is important for this role.
- Excellent analytical abilities, impressive communication and organizational skills, and superb attention to detail are all vital.
- The ability to lead and collaborate with teams located in different time zones and jurisdictions is of great importance. Experience mentoring, supervising, or managing junior team members is highly preferred.
- An MBA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Tax LLM, or similar certification are all pluses but are not required.
The expected annual base salary range for this position is $150,000 to $180,000. Our client’s compensation and benefits package includes variable compensation in the form of a year-end bonus, guaranteed in the first year of hire, and benefits, including medical and prescription drug coverage, 401k contribution matching, paid time off, wellness reimbursement, family building benefits, and a charitable gift match program.