Senior Litigation Paralegal
Los Angeles, CA; Palo Alto, CA; or San Francisco, CA
Our client is looking for an experienced, career-track litigation paralegal with substantial work experience in AmLaw 100 firms or specialized boutique law firms who will contribute as lead paralegal on large, complex cases and provide instruction and informal mentorship to junior paralegals at the Firm.
- Perform all elements of litigation case management, including file management, discovery, and trial activities.
- Implement case calendaring system to track filings and appropriately distribute information.
- Utilize existing systems and procedures and/or establish new procedures to facilitate the organization and retrieval of documents by and for the attorneys on the case team.
- On a case-specific basis, coordinate and oversee the tasks of more junior paralegals and other support staff as needed on large litigation matters and/or investigations in all phases of litigation from discovery through trial/arbitration.
- Liaise between case team lawyers and support staff as needed to ensure that case-specific paralegal services are meeting the team’s expectations.
- Interact with outside entities (e.g. courts, government agencies, expert witnesses, corporations, vendors and other law firms) to gather information or coordinate activities as needed in support of firm activities, specifically trials and arbitrations.
- Draft, review, and/or analyze routine legal documents as requested; conduct legal research under attorney supervision.
- Provide formal and/or informal guidance and training to more junior paralegals regarding firm and litigation procedures and best practices.
- Create and maintain effective working relationships with others to facilitate a positive and productive work environment.
- Continuously refine, develop, and expand skills in anticipation of changes in the work environment or profession.
- Adhere to Firm policies, practices, and priorities.
- Perform other duties as requested by Firm management.
- BS/BA from an accredited college or university required.
- Paralegal certificate preferred
- Minimum 5 years work experience as a litigation paralegal in an Amlaw 100 firm or a specialized litigation practice firm.
- Experience with all stages of litigation, including intake, discovery, and trial.
- Experience with Section 337 investigations conducted by the U.S. International Trade Commission.
- Experience preparing for and attending trials/arbitrations/hearings.
- Experience coordinating trial/arbitration logistics, including negotiating for work space, setting-up remote office space, and coordinating with vendors.
- Strong sense of accountability and attention to detail.
- Ability to convey information to individuals at all levels within the firm in a courteous and professional manner; strong service orientation.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to work concurrently on a variety of projects with changing priorities.
- Ability to work equally well as part of a team in both a leadership and subordinate role.
- Ability to maintain stable performance under pressure with continually changing priorities; ability to integrate special assignments or projects into workflow.
- Excellent judgment demonstrated by the ability to make appropriate decisions in high pressure situations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including communications that are clear and concise, use proper grammar and appropriate vocabulary.
- Experience with court and administrative agency filings, including electronic or e- filings.
- Familiarity with USITC Electronic Document Information System (EDIS) preferred.
- Experience using e-discovery databases (e.g. Concordance, Relativity, Ringtail).
- Experience using litigation support software for managing files and transcripts preferred. (e.g. LiveNote, CaseMap, etc.)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software products including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency using LexisNexis, Westlaw, and Adobe Acrobat in a legal setting.
- Proficient with cite-checking and Bluebook rules.
- Must be available for overtime work and travel as needed.
The salary range for this position is $87,500 – $140,000, depending on location, qualifications, and experience.
Salary: $87,500 – $140,000
Date Active: 9.29.2023
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt