New York, NY
The Sr. Legal Secretary performs an extensive variety of administrative tasks, maintains a general knowledge of the practice areas/groups of the firm, a specialized knowledge of the attorneys’ practice area(s), while consistently producing an excellent work product. This position offers a hybrid work opportunity.
- Drafts complex correspondence and documents (e.g., court forms, pleadings, e-mails responding to client inquiries, etc.) and anticipates attorneys’ need for same.
- Demonstrates expertise in department-specific topics, procedures, and software (e.g., draft simple estate plan instruments, perform federal court filings, create closing binders, etc.).
- May assist with ensuring attorney e-mails and documents are properly filed in iManage.
- Prints and organizes a variety of documents received in a range of formats.
- Assumes responsibility for maintaining the highest level of confidentiality of all Firm and client information, records, and files, both within and outside of the Firm.
- Following the Firm’s established document processing methods and procedures, creates, edits, and proofreads work product to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Maintains timekeepers’ schedules/calendars, where appropriate. Maintains attorney-client contact information and other pertinent information in the Firm’s client contact database.
- Inputs, reviews, edits, and closes time entries through the Firm’s web-based time entry program following Firm standards.
- Handles monthly client billing (paper and e-billing). Reviews billing pre-bills for accuracy and completeness. Performs client, matter and timekeeper inquiries, and narrative edits.
- Prepares attorneys’ expense reports in a timely manner. Arranges for payment of vendor invoices or checks to be drawn and charged to appropriate client/matter numbers.
- Coordinates travel arrangements through Firm’s travel service.
- Generates client conflict checks, opens new matters, and drafts and maintains client engagement letters.
- Coordinates file retention and retrieval with Records Department. Sets up and maintains timekeeper’s work files. Indexes and prepares files for off-site storage.
- Answers telephones and accurately takes and relays messages, as requested.
- Accurately transcribes from tapes, handwritten materials and/or dictation.
- Arranges for video conferencing and sets up conference calls.
- Interacts directly with a wide variety of clients in a friendly, helpful, and professional manner.
- Responds to customer/client requests, identifies issues/problems in a timely manner, and seeks feedback/follow-up as appropriate.
- Builds effective working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Takes initiative beyond routine responsibility.
- Seeks out and accepts new responsibilities.
- Seeks development opportunities to enhance skills.
- Participates in firm training opportunities; participates in training of other employees and staff members to promote cross-training of all employees; assists colleagues in learning new skills/tasks in order to integrate them into the team.
- Volunteers for overflow work and ad-hoc projects as assigned.
- Actively seeks to maximize productivity and promote teamwork.
- Works well independently, while building effective relationships with coworkers.
- Demonstrates dedication to producing quality work product.
- Detailed oriented when completing work assignments.
- Organizes and prioritizes workload appropriately.
- Utilizes resources appropriately to complete work in the most efficient manner.
- Cooperates and demonstrates flexibility when facing change.
- Participates and contributes fully as a team member.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the culture, practices, business, and structure of the firm.
- Demonstrates knowledge and adherence to basic firm policies, procedures and processes.
- Proactively communicates the status of work.
- Understands the need to ask questions and seek guidance.
- Expresses thoughts clearly, accurately, and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Seeks ways to utilize technology to improve efficiency, utilizing available technology to carry out job responsibilities.
- Minimum of 3 + years of work experience as a Legal Secretary in a law firm
- Accurate typing skills of a minimum of 55 wpm, along with strong word processing skills utilizing Microsoft Word 2010, Outlook 2010, Excel, PowerPoint, docketing software and client relationship management software.
- Proficiency with .pdf Docs, iManage, Microsoft Outlook and CMS Time Entry.
- Excellent spelling, grammar, and proofreading skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task, problem solve and arrange workload in order of importance to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively within a team and independently, as workflow dictates.
- Ability to learn and effectively apply new software as required.
- Ability to maintain reliable attendance record and punctuality.
- Ability to meet Firm client service standards by maintaining a positive and professional attitude as well as communicate effectively with all levels of the organization as well as external clients, vendors and the general public.
- Exhibit a desire to team with support staff, peers, attorneys, and administrators by demonstrating willingness to undertake additional responsibilities, teach and assist others when requested.
The expected salary range for candidates meeting the requirements of this position is $70,000 to $90,000. The range provided is the salary that our client in good faith believes at the time of this posting that it is willing to pay for the advertised position. Exact compensation will be determined based on individual candidate qualifications and location. Their benefits package includes coverage options for medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, life insurance, disability, FSAs, 401K, and paid time off.