New York, NY or Chicago, IL
The Senior Financial Analyst exercises discretion and independent judgment while working under the general direction of the Financial Reporting & Budgeting Manager and according to established firm policies and procedures. The Senior Financial Analyst prepares reporting of actual and budget financial activity of the firm by performing essential duties personally or through delegation/supervision of subordinates. The Senior Financial Analyst maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and firm matters.
- Prepare, review and distribute the firm’s monthly modified cash basis financial reporting (e.g., Flash and Financial Overview). Reporting includes income statement and other key performance metrics (billable hours, headcount, attorney productivity, etc.). Reporting contains relevant variance analysis to budget, forecast and prior year activity.
- Prepare, review and distribute the legal department, practice group and office reporting; while similar, the firm’s monthly reporting has a greater focus on key performance metrics. Reporting contains relevant variance analysis to budget, forecast and prior year activity.
- Prepare, review and distribute the financial reporting to various business professional chiefs. Reporting is tailored to the specific focus on the business professional chief with different key performance metrics than legal and practice group leaders. Reporting contains relevant variance analysis to budget, forecast and prior year activity.
- Participate in the preparation and review of the modified cash basis annual operating and capital expenditure budget, including income statement and other key performance metrics to support the revenue, expense and capital expenditures. Budgeting includes preparation for business professional chiefs, legal department heads and practice group leaders. This process includes multiple versions until approved by the Director of Financial Reporting & Budgeting, the CFO, COO, CEO and Chairman with final budget approval by the Executive Committee and Board.
- Assist in the preparation of the firm’s quarterly forecasts identifying YTD and projected variances to annual budget for revenue, expenses and related key performance metrics. This process includes multiple versions until approved by the Director of Financial Reporting & Budgeting, CFO, COO, CEO and Chairman with final budget approval by the Executive Committee and Board.
- Preparation of various analyses with recommendations for solutions as questions and issues from firm management and other stakeholders as they relate to financial reporting and budgeting.
- Assist in the preparation of various surveys utilized in the legal industry.
- Participate in the preparation of the periodic financial presentations, working closely with the Director of Financial Reporting & Budgeting, CFO, COO and other firm leaders.
- Partake in the review of various system-generated financial reports, identifying issues where information is inconsistent and troubleshoot for root cause to ensure accuracy of financial information.
- Participate in the design of new reports as requested by firm management.
- Participate in the implementation of budget software to support annual budget and forecast process.
- Assist in the implementation of reporting/database software to support monthly and periodic reporting.
- Participate systems upgrades, leading selected work streams for testing and verification of financial information used in financial reporting.
- Perform complex calculations in support of essential duties and responsibilities.
- Complete special projects as requested and furnish related information and reports as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or equivalent and three or more years of related experience working within an Am Law 100 law firm is required.
- Computer proficient with knowledge and understanding of Accounting systems (CMS/Aderant or Elite are required), Excel, Power Point, Outlook and MS Word. Experience and understanding of Iridium or other similar budgeting and reporting software.
- Superior interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff and outside contacts.
- Superior analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail, precision, and logic with comprehensive knowledge of complex accounting principles and practices in order to conduct detailed analysis of accounting operations, general ledger accounts, balance sheet and income statement activity and budget variations.
- Exhibit initiative and critical-thinking skills in exercising independent judgment and making decisions in order to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment.
- Ability to identify and analyze complex accounting/financial issues and problems and to recommend and implement solutions. Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills.
- Strong organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish concise, detailed information in report format, written correspondence, e‑mail, or verbally.
- Ability to perform complex mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, verifying numerical data, preparing various accounting reports, providing back-up assistance and support in performing all aspects of accounting operations and participating in preparation of the budget.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Required to work towards deadlines; must be able to work more than 37.5 hours per week in Chicago, 35 hours per week in New York.
For the New York office, the annualized salary range for this position is $90,000 to $110,000. Actual pay will be adjusted based on experience and other job-related factors permitted by law.
Salary: $90,000 – $110,000
Date Active: 8.15.2023
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt