Boston, MA; Hartford, CT; New York, NY; Washington, DC; Orange County, CA
Our client is looking for a Research Specialist with an MLS/MLIS and at least three years of legal reference and research experience.
- As part of the Research team, provides expert research and reference assistance to attorneys in all practice areas in a timely and effective manner.
- Provides expert reference and research assistance to support the functions of the various administrative departments of the firm including, but not limited to, Business Development & Marketing, Recruiting, and Intake & Conflicts
- Provides consultative research and reference support advising lawyers on the optimal strategy and source selection to obtain the most authoritative and cost-effective results.
- Performs regular monitoring of news, dockets, legislative and regulatory changes, and other subject area monitoring as necessary.
- Follows internal procedures for the handling of requests as set by the Manager of Research Services.
- Bills time to client/matters as appropriate.
- Maintains expert working knowledge of the library collection, online database resources, interlibrary loan processes, document delivery, and other resources as appropriate.
- Works with the Manager of Research Services to assist in the preparation of and/or delivery of relevant orientation and training programs. Assists in the gathering of materials and drafting or editing of handouts to support the program.
- Participates in resource evaluation projects including pilots of new services and comparisons of resources and contributes to recommendations for purchase, renewal, or alternative resources.
- Works with Manager of Research Services to support the development and maintenance of the library portal, including integration of subject-specific resources.
- Assists in the preparation of department communications.
- Works with Research Services Manager on departmental projects and initiatives as requested.
- MLS, MLIS required.
- 3-5 years of legal reference and research experience required.
- Experience in a mid to large law firm or comparable environment preferred.
- Working knowledge of legal, business, scientific, and general research resources, and methodologies.
- Knowledge of Westlaw, Practical Law, Lexis, Bloomberg Law, and VitalLaw product suites.
- Knowledge or ability to learn multiple research platforms including, but not limited to, Checkpoint, Docket Navigator, PitchBook, and many others.
- Knowledge of tools and techniques for setting up current awareness and litigation alerts.
- Strong research skills including an ability to think critically about research tools, conduct cost-effective and efficient research, compile research results, summarize data, and communicate methodology and results clearly.
- Ability to work quickly, and with great attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Experience with reviewing and evaluating new and existing electronic resources with an eye toward improved service and research efficiencies.
- A demonstrated commitment to continuing education through conference and webinar attendance and participation in local and national associations.
Salary range based on experience level and location: $70,000 – $95,000
Salary: $90,000 – $95,000
Date Active: 8.7.2023
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt