Professional Development Manager
New York, NY or Roseland, NJ
This position will sit in our New York, NY office and currently offers a hybrid remote work opportunity.
The Professional Development Training Manager (the “Manager”) is responsible for ensuring that the Firm delivers first-rate training and professional coaching opportunities for attorneys and Business Services Group (BSG) members so they can meet the expectations of their current roles and develop the skills to meet short and long-term career goals. The Manager will also oversee CLE.
The role will require travel to other offices on an as needed basis.
- Developing, implementing, maintaining, evaluating, and enhancing training curricula and ad-hoc training for attorneys and BSG to meet the ever-changing needs of a progressive law firm,
- Collaborating with key stakeholders to identify firm-wide and practice-specific training needs that will help attorneys develop the technical and soft skills needed for each stage in their careers,
- Identifying and partnering with internal and external faculty to deploy first-rate training through Firm University,
- Assessing training programs to ensure they are having the desired impact, and replacing or adjusting programs as needed to ensure optimal outcomes,
- Overseeing the training-based aspects of the firm’s annual Fall Associate onboarding program,
- Envisioning creative ways of communicating training opportunities to target audiences to generate interest and participation,
- Considering the most efficient and effective ways to deliver training and enhance the trainee’s experience,
- Examining trends in Firm University registrations and cancellations to ensure our target audiences are accessing trainings,
- Staying current on best practices and innovations with respect to adult learning, both within and outside the legal industry,
- Identifying outside collaborators who can deliver targeted 1:1 coaching for attorneys and BSG, connecting employees with coaches and collecting and assessing feedback from participants,
- Negotiating training and coaching agreements with external collaborators and maintaining positive relationships with them,
- Managing the PD Budget with guidance and input from the Director and others,
- Supervising the CLE Specialist with respect to work on training-based initiatives,
- Planning, implementing, and evaluating associate/counsel off-site training events,
- Producing reports to help firm leadership understand how the firm, and its practices, are doing in terms of meeting training-based objectives,
- Staying abreast of training programs, initiatives, and opportunities which other business functions are spearheading, ensuring they are not duplicative of other efforts and offering insights to position those efforts for success,
- Ensuring that the Training and CLE content on the LS Intranet is current and engaging,
- Collaborating with the CHRO and Alumni Committee on agendas for Alumni CLE Programs,
- Knowing and adhering to Firm policies and procedures, with a particular emphasis on understanding the policies that relate to the attorney career development function,
- Maintaining and organizing program and project documentation,
- Seeking timely solutions to work conflicts and priorities, and
- Keeping track of open items and initiating timely follow-up.
- Minimum of 7 years in a law firm environment,
- Minimum of 4 years of responsibility for maintaining, developing, and implementing law firm training curricula for attorneys,
- Experience with multiples learning formats,
- Experience connecting attorneys with outside coaches,
- Experience overseeing a law firm budget preferred,
- 4-year college degree required,
- Ability to maintain confidentiality,
- Attention to detail,
- Excellent written and oral communication skills,
- Excellent emotional intelligence skills,
- Ability to effectively manage time and multiple tight deadlines,
- Experience in data management (e.g.; spreadsheets, databases),
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint),
- Demonstrated strong project management skills,
- Must display enthusiasm, patience, flexibility, a positive and upbeat attitude, and perceive challenges as client service opportunities,
- Must be able to represent oneself professionally as a representative of the firm in an array of situations, interacting with all levels of the organization and various external resources,
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment,
- Ability to anticipate issues and questions and take initiative.
For candidate meetings the requirements, expected salary range is $110,000 to $180,000. The range provided is the salary that the firm in good faith believes at the time of this posting that it is willing to pay for the advertised position. Exact compensation will be determined based on individual candidate qualifications and location. Our benefits package includes coverage options for medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, life insurance, disability, FSAs, 401K, and paid time off.