Professional Assistant – Litigation Support
This position is responsible for performing a variety of administrative and word processing duties while exercising sound judgment over work priorities with minimal supervision. Strong legal and administrative skills, as well as the ability to multi-task and perform well under strict deadlines, are required. This position falls under the litigation group and works closely with other Professional Assistants in a Center team environment.
- Types and edits documents quickly and accurately, proofreading for content and typographical errors.
- Utilizes firm technology (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) effectively.
- Completes work product according to instructions and within the requested time frame.
- Handles general administrative duties such as travel arrangements, meeting coordination, expense reports, time entry and the new business memorandum process with efficiency and in a proactive manner.
- Occasionally answers telephone calls, takes messages or provides information as appropriate.
- Opens and closes files as necessary, promptly handles the filing of legal or other administrative materials (physical and electronic) and sends materials to off-site storage as necessary.
- Attends training classes to keep up to date with technological advances and software upgrades.
- Provides additional back-up coverage to other Professional Assistants as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: Three years legal secretarial experience required.
- Special Knowledge: Requires strong legal and administrative skills, as well as an ability to multi-task and perform well under strict deadlines. Must be extremely well organized and detail-oriented. Familiarity with document management systems a plus. Familiarity with the New Business Intake process is preferred.
- Technical Skills:
- Outlook: Able to schedule multiple calendar appointments and use Scheduling Assistant to check availability
- MS Word: Able to use firm Styles to format document; Able to generate TOCs and TOAs (with Best Authority); Able to run red/blacklines and manage Track Changes documents with multiple reviewers (Litera)
- Facility with and able to use DocXtools or native Word functions to fix/reformat documents
- Familiarity with Forte, or able to learn, to create documents from firm templates
- Excel: Able to format worksheets/workbooks for printing; Able to add headers/footers to worksheets/workbooks; Able to use basic formulas
- PowerPoint: Able to manipulate/revise the Style Master; Able to edit text and graphic elements
- Adobe/Kofax PDF: Manipulating documents (deleting pages, combining pdfs, redacting, adding headers/footers, adding Bates numbering)
- Zoom: Familiarity with Zoom to setup meetings; Able to manage Zoom settings and functions as the host/proxy
- Relativity: Familiar enough with Relativity (or other document database programs) to be able to correspond with Litigation Support or vendors to be able to assist with research and document production
- PACER: Experienced in using PACER for filings and pulling documents/cites
- Visio strongly preferred. Versed in technology, such as Chrome River, Intapp, Replicon is preferred.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to follow instructions effectively. Must be a self-starter who can work both independently and in a team environment. Must possess excellent customer service skills and be flexible in handling changing priorities necessary to support business needs. Must have professional telephone etiquette and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must score 40 wpm with a 2% or lower error rate on the firm’s legal typing test and 76% or higher on the firm’s legal spelling test. Must understand and maintain confidentiality of the attorney-client relationship.·Must be proficient in e-filing and e-filing procedures in state and federal court.
- Job is performed in a typical office environment, but it subject to time pressures and constraints, and is primarily dependent on input from others.
- Long hours are periodically required and overtime may be required.
The salary range for this position is $72,000 – $96,000, nonexempt.
Job Type: Full-time, Hybrid
Salary: $72,000 - $96,000
Date Active: 2.19.2024
Exempt/Not Exempt: Not Exempt