New York, NY; Washington, DC
The Paralegal Manager will manage all the paralegals and certain other alternative timekeepers to ensure the operational efficiency of the group. The Manager will also work closely with our Talent and Finance teams to lead the recruiting, onboarding, integration, training and development, performance management, compensation, utilization, and assignment allocation of the paralegal team.
- Develop and maintain a firmwide paralegal program;
- Analyze current utilization and skill sets of the team and reassess the deployment of resources;
- Take a data-driven approach to staffing the paralegal team;
- Harmonize titles and roles across offices and practices;
- Develop hiring criteria and development framework for the paralegal team in conjunction with the new title grid;
- Support the development of the paralegal team through training programs in partnership with Talent;
- Collaborate with Finance and Pricing Teams on setting appropriate bill rates and productivity targets consistent with the business needs of the practice and profitability targets of the Firm;
- Work with Practice Management and legal teams to proactively address support for clients, providing efficient support for client teams with the right skills and bill rates; and
- Manage the performance of the paralegal team through annual reviews and periodic check-ins. Solicit feedback from Practice Management and legal teams to determine appropriate salaries, bonuses, and promotions.
The Paralegal Manager is expected to have:
- Strong business acumen and analytical skills; the ability to develop and successfully execute comprehensive project and operational plans from broadly stated objectives;
- Proven experience driving continuous improvement and innovation in business operations, technology, infrastructure, and practices in a complex, matrixed, global professional services;
- Proven leadership skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to deal effectively with lawyers and staff at all levels of the organization and to regularly handle sensitive and confidential information;
- Advanced understanding of business operations and proficiency in financial performance metrics;
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including specifically Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project and Visio;
- Strong project management and organizational skills, including ability to plan and facilitate at group and individual levels;
- Ability to handle a wide variety of responsibilities and work in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to solve problems and provide solutions, take initiative, and work independently in high-pressure situations;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated confidence and competence in dealing with individuals in leadership positions; and
- Strong work ethic and desire to lead and achieve at a high standard of excellence.
- Bachelor’s degree (required);
- A minimum of 7 years of legal and/or paralegal experience, including at least 5 years of managerial experience; and
- Experience managing paralegals in a law firm or corporate law department strongly (preferred).
The salary range for this role is $170,000 – $188,000 (exempt).
Job Type: Full-time, Hybrid
Salary: $170,000 - $188,000
Date Active: 2.19.2024
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt