Our client, an AmLaw150 firm, has an opening for an Office Administrator in their Washington, DC office. The Office Administrator (OA) is responsible for the management of business services employees, office services, and facilities in the Washington, D.C. office. Responsibilities include overall operations management of the DC office and partnering with firm-wide HR on the recruitment of business services employees, associates, and lawyers. The OA will work directly with the Office Administrative Partner, Chief Operating Officer, and Chief Human Resources Officer. The OA position reports directly to the Director of Operations. Core hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., including one hour for lunch, with flexibility for additional hours as needed.
- Responsible for the overall day-to-day administration of the DC office.
- Assist in the preparation of the office operating expense budget and monitor monthly budget vs. actual progress.
- Review and approve vendor invoices. Address any invoice discrepancies for resolution.
- Direct supervision for the DC office administrative employees which include legal secretaries, facilities, office services, and reception.
- Manage the performance management, evaluation and compensation process for the DC office administrative employees.
- Manage office moves; engage in planning, design, and disposal of equipment and furniture; manage space planning, relocation, construction, and renovation projects.
- Manage the mail/supply operation and ensure that adequate coverage is provided at all times.
- Manage the relationship with on-site vendors.
- Partner with HR in the recruitment and onboarding process for all DC office administrative positions.
- Make recommendations for staffing, including assignments to lawyers and business services employees.
- Monitor administrative employee attendance, vacations, and other absences from the office.
- Manage coverage for attorneys in the absence of business services employees.
- Manage workflow and ensure that timekeeper needs are met.
- In coordination with the Office Administrative Partner, assign office space to new employees, including lawyers, paralegals, and business services employees.
- Work with building management on day-to-day facilities issues such as building security, cleaning and maintenance, heating and air conditioning, emergency preparedness, and general tenant issues.
- Arrange for repairs and maintenance of the office space such as painting, carpet cleaning, furniture repair, etc.
- Coordinate in-house office moves.
- Coordinate disaster and emergency preparedness activities for the DC office.
- Manage special functions and social events for DC Office lawyers and business services employees, including practice group meetings, holiday parties, etc.
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Excellent analytical and sound decision-making skills required.
- Experience managing people and teams.
- Experience with budgeting and inventory management.
- Must be client-service oriented with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize and to work independently
- Working knowledge of PC computer technology, including Windows and Microsoft Office Suite
- Recent law firm experience as an office administrator, office manager or in an equivalent management position in a professional services environment preferred.
- College degree required.
The salary range for this position is $150,000 – $180,000.