Manager of Litigation Practice Management
Philadelphia, PA; Chicago, IL
Our client seeks a Manager of Practice Management to support its Litigation group. This position reports directly to the Director of Practice Management and oversees the Practice Management Coordinator – Litigation. The role is responsible for the operational management of several of the litigation practice and industry groups. The role works directly with attorney practice group leaders of assigned groups in the daily management of the groups’ business operations—with a focus on helping manage the financial health, internal organization, operational functioning and morale of such groups.
- Work with group leaders and functional counterparts to help drive group annual business planning, establish business objectives and manage implementation of goals throughout the year.
- Advise group leadership on potential strategies to meet business objectives.
- Work collaboratively and effectively with all operational departments, e.g., Talent, Finance/Pricing, IT, Marketing, and Knowledge Management to achieve goals.
- Collaborate with Practice Management Director to ensure group strategies align with and further department and firm strategic objectives.
Meeting and Communication Management
- Run regular leadership calls for each group to discuss/address group performance and prepare leaders to drive reoccurring group-wide meetings.
- Prepare meaningful, actionable agendas for reoccurring group meetings, confirm speakers and support day-of meeting management.
- Contribute operational updates and help leaders facilitate discussion/engagement in group meetings.
- Ensure meetings help further overall group objectives.
- Work with leaders to develop and disseminate internal communications to group members.
- Work with leaders to plan and participate in all internal department and practice group retreats/events.
Operational and Financial Management
General Financial Management
- Work with leaders to develop and manage annual operating expense budgets and prepare monthly analysis of spending versus budget.
- Analyze financial reports in accordance with group KPIs and work with leadership to address productivity, revenue and expense issues.
- Assist with the year-end compensation process, including compiling and updating necessary reports for department leadership and coordinating with Professional Development and Marketing on necessary materials.
Attorney Utilization, Workflow, Integration and Development
- Analyze staffing and utilization of associates, counsel and paralegals and work with leadership and Professional Development to identify and evaluate strategic hiring needs.
- Collaborate with attorney workflow coordinators and Professional Development to monitor workflow and assignments for associates, counsel and paralegals within the department; help foster cross-office staffing when appropriate.
- Work with members of the Professional Development team and group leaders to develop and execute on substantive training needs and professional development programs specific to department/practice group needs.
- In coordination with Professional Development, assist with lateral integration and attorney departures, ensuring seamless processes and data capture related to onboarding and offboarding.
Processes and Systems
- Work with group leaders and relevant functional leads on process improvement, system/resource adoption, data collection/management to ensure operational efficiency and aid business decision-making.
- Work with leadership to improve upon and communicate processes related to group cost containment, expense approvals, and budgeting.
- Collaborate with the Director of Practice Management to ensure processes and approaches are aligned across groups.
- Work with attorneys to ensure access to all available tools and resources (such as knowledge libraries, form repositories, enhanced research tools, etc.).
- Collect and maintain designated information/data from group members, as requested by leadership, to help with decision-making and group management.
- Audit incoming Client Matter Intake data and correct coding issues on a systematic basis; identify reoccurring problems and work with Knowledge Management and Marketing to provide training/solutions.
- Be comfortable working with people of all levels within the Firm and managing other professionals and staff.
- Must have exceptional customer services skills, critical thinking and strong judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in litigation practice management at a law firm close to firm’s size
- Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- Manager experience preferred
Physical Demands of Position
Work is performed in a professional office environment and requires the following during the work day:
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time (working at a computer)
- Repetitive movement (i.e. heavy computer/keyboard use).
- Individual will interact regularly with others verbally, in-person, and via written communication.
- May require occasional light lifting (files, copy paper, etc.).
In addition to the essential functions outlined above:
- Individual in this position will provide additional assistance and support as directed by their supervisor.
- This job description is subject to change at any time.
The salary range for this role is $115,000 – $130,000, exempt.
Job Type: Full-time, Hybrid
Salary: $115,000 - $130,000
Date Active: 2.28.2024
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt