Legal Recruiting & Associate Relations Manager
The Legal Recruiting and Associate Relations Manager (“Manager”) is responsible for the overall administration of the department and manages the legal recruiting (lateral attorneys, fall recruiting and summer programs) and associate relations functions in the Washington, DC office. The Manager will be responsible for reviewing, coordinating and facilitating all associate training, professional development and event planning. The Manager will prepare, administer and track the recruiting budget and recruiting related expenses.
- Collaborate with Managing Partners and Practice Group Leaders to analyze hiring needs and coordinate year-round lateral hiring.
- Coordinate on-campus interview process including, work with DC Recruitment Partners to select appropriate law schools; screen resumes; work with attorneys to select interview candidates; coordinate attorney on-campus interview assignments; work with attorneys to determine offers and rejections.
- Work directly with the career placement departments at local law schools to conduct presentations with students on the recruiting, interviewing, and hiring process. Suggest sponsorship opportunities.
- Maintain regular correspondence with career service departments at law schools and the Legal Recruiting Departments at law Firms.
- Manage and oversee summer planning including verbal and written contact with summer associates regarding arrival/departure dates, assignment preferences and on-boarding process. Oversee the mid- and end of summer evaluations and exit interviews and assist in assessing practice group hiring needs and matching summer associates with individual practice groups.
- Oversee annual DC summer associate program including final approval of calendar of events.
- Work collaboratively with DC Recruitment Partners, Director of Administrator, and DC Human Resources Manager to handle personnel issues and crisis control regarding summer associates.
- Negotiate search Firm contracts and act as point-person for all lateral placements and outplacements through search Firms; place advertisements and coordinate all lateral recruiting trips. Serves as office’s liaison to search Firms engaged to meet hiring needs. Maintain communication with search Firms; provide and obtain feedback regarding candidates.
- Screen all unsolicited resumes and respond to all applicants. Solicit departmental interest and extend invitations to interview.
- Oversee schedule and participate in lateral candidate interviews.
- Coordinate conflict clearance process for lateral and incoming attorneys.
- Assist with the development, implementation, updates and management of hiring policies and procedures with the DC Recruitment Partners and Firm-wide Recruiting Department.
- Produce monthly, year-end, and ad hoc office recruiting reports.
- Oversee production of recruitment materials, including direct information management including record keeping, statistics, and reports.
- Coordinate technology programs to maintain attorney recruitment database and Internet to enhance recruiting initiatives.
- Support diversity-hiring goals and work with Firmwide Diversity Chair.
- Maintain an open line of communication with NY Sr. Director of Legal Recruiting.
- Work with recruitment managers and staff in other offices to develop and promote Firm-wide recruiting initiatives.
- Maintain membership in the National Association for Law Placement and WALRAA to remain current on the legal industry and recruitment.
- Prepare and track the DC recruiting budget. Review and approve invoices and recruiting related expenses in a timely manner. Review budget and variance reports on a monthly basis to determine compliance.
- Review, coordinate and facilitate all associate training and professional development.
- Work directly with DC Director of Administration on associate personnel issues and meet on a regular basis to discuss associate issues, provide guidance and bring to resolution.
- Coordinate new attorney pre-arrival activities including bar review, bar exam and related issues.
- Assist New Associate practice group assignments with Recruitment Partners and DC Practice Group Leaders, as needed.
- Collaborate with DC Director of Administration to arrange new attorney orientation and introduction to practice group and serve as point of contact for new attorneys.
- Coordinate and/or conduct exit interviews for all departing associates and prepare periodic reports thereof for office management; develop retention surveys and gather information through exit interviews to improve workplace satisfaction.
- Work with NY Director of Professional Development to implement Firm-wide mentoring program; assign mentors locally and ensure mentoring is taking place and coordinate events.
- Oversee administrative function of MCLE programs and other professional development trainings for all legal personnel.
- Coordinate periodic office attorney lunches, office TGIFs and gatherings, annual Partner/Counsel dinner with Executive Partner, and other events as they arise.
- Help with any other ad-hoc events (Legal Aid Dinner, ABA Antitrust Spring Reception), etc.
- Facilitate meetings and programming of various affinity groups.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5+ years in legal or campus recruitment for a professional services or Big Law firm.
- Ability to prioritize, juggle multiple responsibilities, and exercise good judgment.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Must be detail oriented with ability to multi-task.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral/written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle confidential material with discretion.
- Ability to create and effectively monitor a budget.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and be a team player.
- Candidate must be self-motivated, energetic, flexible, detail-oriented, and highly organized
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; knowledge of legal recruiting software a plus
- Some travel is required.
- Requires frequent interaction with attorneys, support staff, law school placement offices, search firms and the firm’s US offices.
- Accepts responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work, understands how performance affects business results. Consistently strives to improve performance. Adheres to Firm policies. Manages PTO and punctuality.
- Analyzes problems, develops effective solutions and understands implications of solutions. Makes appropriate and timely decisions.
- Communicates clearly and concisely in written/verbal communications. Proactively communicates to facilitate work, teamwork and efficiency. Chooses appropriate communication tools and utilizes technology to facilitate communications where appropriate.
- Conveys a positive image of the Firm. Responds professionally, thoroughly, and courteously to internal/external clients. Produces high quality work, is efficient, accurate and has good attention to detail, displays high level of personal integrity.
- Works effectively with co-workers as part of the team to get the job accomplished. Flexible and open-minded, values diversity. Actively listens and interacts with others in a tactful, respectful, and positive manner.
The salary range for this role is $145,000 – $160,000, exempt.
Job Type: Full-time, Hybrid
Salary: $145,000 - $160,000
Date Active: 2.16.2024
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt