Director, Professional Development and Training
Washington, DC; New York, NY; Boston, MA
Directs the Professional Development and Training team to design, develop and implement the firm’s substantive legal training and other professional development programs. Leads, supervises, develops and trains the professional development and training team including the managers, coordinators and assistants.
Ensures that staff members are providing quality service to internal members/departments of the firm as well as external clients and vendors by displaying professionalism via electronic and print correspondence, over the telephone and in-person and by encouraging an atmosphere that rewards a “can do” attitude.
- In collaboration with the Chief Legal Personnel and Development & Practice Management Officer develops strategy and leads the implementation of the firm-wide goals for attorney professional development and training.
- Leads the firm-wide professional development and training team in identifying and addressing training needs, developing curricula, and implementing programs to maximize effectiveness and quality. Supervises, develops and trains the professional development and training team including managers, coordinators and assistants.
- Presents programs and works with internal and external presenters to deliver effective training for attorneys of all levels from summer associate to partner.
- In conjunction with Department Practice Group leaders and Practice Management, identifies and develops new initiatives, programs and curricula to ensure the continued professional development of the firm’s attorneys.
- Works with firm-wide professional development and training team to develop and execute annual retreat programming for newly promoted senior associates and counsel.
- Manages the firm’s CLE programming to include technical systems and procedures to track attorney CLE credits; oversee compliance with various state bars CLE rules; and collaborate with the Client Development team to develop CLE programming to respond to client relationship needs.
- In collaboration with Practice Management, oversees the development of curricula and agendas of Department and/or Practice Group business meetings and retreats.
- Identifies and coordinates internal and external resources for the delivery of competency and practice related skills such as legal writing and research, oral communication and presentation, managerial skills and business development.
- Keeps abreast of trends in professional development for attorneys and evaluates seminar content and presenter effectiveness to ensure efficient delivery of material content and attorney interest on topic. Evaluates programs against attorney development in respective areas.
- Develops and manages relationships with external training and development consultants and related resources. Provides referral services as necessary to attorneys with specific training and/or development needs.
- In alignment with the firm’s strategic goals, objectives and initiatives, manages the firm-wide training and development budget.
- Increases firm awareness of internal and external training and development opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; JD or other Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years in active legal practice or training and development required.
- Minimum of 5 years of management experience
- Excellent management and interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong teamwork skills with a collaborative approach to working with others at all levels of seniority.
- Extensive knowledge of professional development, instructional design and adult learning, or extensive knowledge of law firms and practice of law.
- Detail-oriented and high attention to quality.
- Ability to organize and implement training programs.
The salary range for this position is $203,000 – $254,000, exempt.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by employees in the position. It is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills for positions. The firm reserves the right at all times, in its sole discretion, to add or subtract duties and responsibilities, as it deems necessary.
Job Type: Full-time, Hybrid
Salary: $203,000 - $254,000
Date Active: 2.10.2024
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt