The Collections Specialist is responsible for the collection and follow-up of client receivables for a variety of attorneys’ practices in the United States and abroad. This position requires considerable client contact via phone and email. The Collections Specialist maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and firm matters.
Our client offers a hybrid work model, allowing the flexibility to work both on-site and remotely on a regular basis.
- Develop productive partnerships with attorneys to increase the collection effort. Initiate discussions to review their receivable portfolio status and recommend the appropriate collection action needed.
- Analyze monthly Aged Receivables Reports to identify and target client aging.
- Contact clients on a daily basis. Discuss nature of outstanding balance; provide client any backup requested (i.e. copies of invoices, credit balance info, etc.) to expedite payment; offer/recommend payment plans options, with management approval. Continual and timely follow-up until payment is received.
- Develop and maintain on-going professional working relationship with clients to ensure account remains in current receivable condition.
- Document and record collection activity and status using the firm’s collection system. Schedule follow-ups with clients and attorneys; run daily receivable reports and prepare dunning letters.
- Investigate and analyze client payment history through multiple financial reports to determine the next level of follow-up. Research client accounts and create detailed billing and payment reconciliation spreadsheets, including split/multiple payors, as needed.
- Partner with the Accounting Department to assist with the cash application process and review payments received and posted to client accounts.
- Identify receivables deemed uncollectible to review with Management for possible write-offs.
- Notify the Regional Credit & Collections Manager and attorney of any invoice/balance being disputed by client.
- Collaborate with billing staff to ensure accuracy and timely transmittal of invoices. Review various e-billing platforms and identify any rejections, short payments and other factors impacting the ability to collect account receivables. Partner with billing department to coordinate resolution.
- Responsible for the review and creation of various analytical receivable reports and spreadsheets.
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree (preferred) in Accounting, Finance, or equivalent; or four or more years accounts receivables/collections experience preferably in a large legal or professional services firm; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Computer proficient with knowledge and experience working in Aderant, ARCS, Excel, Outlook, Word and various e-billing platforms is highly preferred. Business Communications Writing Sample will be administered.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts.
- Analytical skills with an aptitude for detail and accuracy in order to conduct comprehensive analysis of complex billing and payment discrepancies, working with multiple systems/reports on a daily basis, and managing the receivables’ status of multiple clients.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative and critical-thinking skills in managing multiple priorities. Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills.
- Excellent organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish detailed information in report format, written correspondence, e‑mail or verbally.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to act independently and make decisions within scope of the position’s responsibilities.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, verifying debits and credits, and preparing various accounting reports for the account receivable collection process.
- Possess excellent knowledge of reading, writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, proofreading, and formatting in order to interpret source data, perform data entry, and proofread material for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors.
- Work occasionally requires more than 37.5 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position.
The salary range for this position is $55,000 – $70,000. Our client offers an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental/vision, 401k with employer contribution, parental leave, transportation fringe benefit program, back-up care option, generous paid time off policy, and long-term and short-term disability policies.
Salary: $55,000 – $70,000
Date Active: 8.9.2023
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt