Business Development Manager – Corporate
New York, NY
This position supports the business development and marketing activities of the assigned practice groups. The BD Manager will work closely with the Practice Group Leaders (PGL’s) to execute the group’s business development and marketing goals. The BD Manager will report to the Senior Global Director of Marketing and Business Development and manage one direct report.
- The BD Manager will provide support to the firm’s lawyers for their designated practice groups and other practices on an as needed basis.
- Seek to understand firm, practice and office goals and work to identify cross-selling opportunities and facilitate multi-disciplinary cooperation among colleagues.
- Conduct research on existing and prospective clients, competitor activity, and industry or market trends to develop best practices and aid in the development of BD plans, presentations and proposals. Understand and apply sophisticated marketing/BD strategy. Show vision.
- Create and edit the following: Responses to RFPs, customized pitches and business development presentations; Web and print marketing collateral, including brochures, practice descriptions, biographies; Client alerts, newsletters and articles authored by attorneys; and Directory submissions and industry award applications.
- Manage deals lists and experience database for relevant practices.
- Liaise with the firm’s PR manager and communications team on media relations and communications activities relevant to the business development initiatives associated with the practice area or office.
- Read industry publications to remain aware of trends that may impact the firm’s practice/industry and apply that knowledge to identify opportunities for promoting the practice/industry.
- Manage all practice-related seminars, CLE presentations and client-facing events. Evaluate and advise on new opportunities for the practice areas or firm as relevant.
- In coordination with the PR and Communications Managers, evaluate awards submission opportunities for relevant practices and ensure that practice groups lawyers are provided visibility on various media and social channels.
- Working with Director of Marketing and Business Development and PGLs to evaluate relevant sponsorship and speaking opportunities for practice group lawyers, negotiate agreements and manage participation in sponsorships and directories to ensure that the firm receives the maximum return on its investments.
- Supervise, mentor, and collaborate with an assigned Business Development Specialist.
- Other responsibilities as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- MBA or JD preferred.
- This person must have strong presence, a high degree of poise and the ability to interact effectively, build relationships with multiple constituents, influence action and achieve results.
- Excellent project-management skills are a must.
- Professional experience with a minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Set goals and take responsibility for achieving them.
- Establish credibility with partners through evincing the right mix of confidence, tact and persistence. Build trust.
- Develop a plan and execute it – project management skills essential.
- Collaborate effectively. You will need strong leadership skills to keep projects moving.
- Secure buy-in and support of attorneys and senior management.
- Effectively delegate: draw out the best in people; set and communicate goals; measure accomplishments, hold people accountable; give practical, impartial feedback.
The salary range for this role is $140,000 – $160,000.
Job Type: Full-time, Hybrid
Salary: $140,000 - $160,000
Date Active: 2.18.2024
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt