The Business Development Manager will support our client in executing business development and marketing initiatives for their world-leading Antitrust and Foreign Direct Investment groups. As the preeminent firm in antitrust on both sides of the Atlantic, supporting these multi-disciplinary areas involves working closely with attorneys across their U.S. offices as well as collaborating closely with BD colleagues in their firm network, including in Brussels, London and Paris. Candidates with strong research, writing and analytical skills will be well suited to this position.
- Identify new business opportunities by staying informed about present and emerging client needs and industry trends.
- Actively monitor marketplace developments affecting existing and prospective clients, to quickly identify and react to lead generation opportunities.
- Prepare new business pitches, presentations and RFP responses, and practice credentials, and serving as the lead business development point person in preparing such materials.
- Collaborate with the Research & Competitive Intelligence team to generate detailed client intelligence reports before pitches and other client meetings and in connection with targeting projects; prepare competitive and market analysis reports and closely follow industry trends.
- Provide structure and support to cross-selling initiatives, including through internal communications that promote recent successes and other relevant developments.
- Maintain a pipeline of opportunities; track results of pitches and proposals; provide timely ideas and other support to ensure consistent progress toward achieving BD goals.
- Supervise junior members of the team to maintain and update experience records, requiring coordination across BD teams and practice groups to develop an effective tracking system.
- Attend practice group and client team meetings, prepare agendas and materials in connection with such meetings, and have a systematic process for follow-up on agreed actions.
- Lead practice-related directory submissions, including Chambers and Legal 500.
- Help Partners develop and execute individual practice development plans and contribute to the marketing and BD plans of the practice groups; ensure strategies and tactics are proactively adjusted as market conditions change.
- Assist the media team with award submissions, profile-raising initiatives, reporting deals to preferred outlets and other market commentary by our attorneys.
- Coordinate with business development colleagues in other practice areas on cross-selling initiatives.
- Liaise with the Events and Marketing Communications teams on internal and external events, website and social media content, and other practice-specific content.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business Administration, liberal arts or related field desired.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant business development experience, and knowledge of, or experience with, litigation and/or restructuring. Law firm/professional services or marketing experience is highly desirable.
- The position requires a high-energy and motivated team player who is also able to work independently as the business development point person for partners. The individual must be able to adapt to change, balance competing demands, and manage demands outside of traditional business hours.
- Previous experience mentoring and cultivating junior talent
- Excellent analytical and research skills and the ability to process information from a wide variety of sources.
- Extraordinary attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working independently as well as within cross-functional teams in a collaborative, professional environment.
- Strong computer skills with various Microsoft programs (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Experience with Thomson/Refinitiv, Bloomberg, LexMachina, Mergermarket, Capital IQ and other research databases including relevant online industry resources i.e., FINRA, Federal Reserve, SEC/EDGAR preferred.
- Expected to monitor emails outside of regular business hours.
- Flexibility to work outside regular business hours, including early mornings, evenings and weekends, as needed.
The base salary for this position is $130,000 to $160,000. Actual pay is determined based on a number of job-related factors, including skills, education, training, credentials, experience, scope and complexity of role responsibilities, geographic location and performance.