Business Development Manager
The BD Manager, based in the Washington D.C. office, works with partners in our client’s D.C. office to assist them in their efforts to generate increased business for the Firm, to expand the Firm’s profile in D.C., and to support the practice areas of the D.C. based partners regionally and globally.
The Manager is responsible for proactively working with partners to tailor the positioning of the various practices on a global and regional basis, and for carrying the messaging through all channels. They collaborate with the D.C. Office’s Managing Partner to define priority projects and initiatives that support the Firm’s business goals.
Responsibilities include the following:
Practice Development and Business Development Strategy
- Work with partners on the development of business plans. Help partners with their entrepreneurial activities and to focus efforts on the highest value opportunities. Maintain information on BD initiatives and periodically provide an executive report to the D.C. partners which summarizes information on individual efforts, as well as broader efforts across the office.
- Support D.C. partners in their efforts to manage existing relationships, develop new relationships, and identify opportunities for implementing business development initiatives that leverage those connections.
- Track referral relationships and work with lawyers to ensure communication lines remain open with these contacts.
- Work with the CRM team to support practice development analysis by monitoring and improving intelligence on contacts and companies on an ongoing basis.
- Collaborate with Events team to plan and execute/oversee events for clients and potential clients.
- Assist partners in preparing targeted presentations (pitch books, short-form brochures, and deal sheets), in a manner that effectively communicates the Firm’s relevant experience and clearly articulates why the Firm should be retained.
- Identify relevant transactional or litigation precedents by industry, geography, and type of matter.
- Work with the responsible partner to develop key messaging points.
- Support Firm efforts to respond to Legal Panel RFPs.
- Maintain a complete record of all pitches (of any type). Identify patterns of success and failures in presentations and increase utilization of best practices.
- Work with partners and colleagues to ensure timely updating of all marketing materials, including practice and individual biography collateral, with new matter information, achievements, and other relevant information.
- Collaborate with practice and industry-focused business development teams to ensure consistent messaging across marketing efforts.
Press Relations and Rankings/Awards
- Collaborate with Communications team to identify relevant rankings opportunities, prepare submissions for Chambers, as well as submissions to other relevant legal guides. Ensure positive results are leveraged across marketing channels (print, digital, and social).
- Collaborate with Communications team to identify relevant awards opportunities and develop the approach for each nomination. Review and edit award nominations drafted by the Communications team.
- Collaborate with the Communications team to identify PR/media opportunities for D.C.-based partners. Build and tailor media capsules for partner research interviews and other press calls.
Marketing Materials and Research
- Draft compelling marketing descriptions that communicate unique aspects of the matter for use in pitches, RFPs, award nominations, ranking submissions, brochures, lawyer biographies, and the Firm’s website.
- Support efforts on competitive and market intelligence research. Report market trends to the broader group and individuals, as appropriate to their practice development interests.
- Collaborate with the Events team to develop compelling client programs/educational conferences.
- Identify and analyze relevant speaking, publication, and sponsorship opportunities to enhance the Firm’s profile in Washington D.C., and key practices/sectors.
In addition, responsibilities related to maintaining Firm and client information are to be adhered to by all employees. This includes complying with the Firm’s information security policies, protecting Firm assets from unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, destruction or interference, and reporting security events or potential events or other security risks to management.
- Five+ years of experience working for a law firm, financial institution, or other professional services firm in Washington, D.C.
- Experience with presenting to and business writing at the Executive/Partner level.
- BA or equivalent required; JD, MBA, or other applicable graduate degree is a plus.
- Prior business development experience in a top tier US law firm preferred.
- An understanding of litigation and/or financial services terminology and processes, as well as basic understanding of transaction terminology.
- Familiarity with the competitive legal landscape in D.C., nationally, and globally
- An ability to reach agreed upon goals with limited supervision.
- A strong team player who can work independently and as part of the global BD team.
- Excellent writing, editing, analytical, research, and organizational skills, with a high level of attention to detail. (a writing and editing test is required).
- Proficiency in standard spreadsheet, database, word processing, and presentation applications (e.g., Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, and SharePoint are pluses), as well as with a variety of online and new media information resources. Knowledge of any CRM system is also helpful. The Firm provides additional training in core software programs if needed, to enhance skills and speed of work.
- An ability to handle time-sensitive requests from multiple lawyers, across time zones, and to generate quality work product in a fast-paced environment. Excellent interpersonal skills: a confident, professional manner that will come across easily and effectively with the Firm’s most senior lawyers and staff.
- A commitment to the highest standards of excellence and professionalism.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The salary range for this position is estimated to be $150,000-$175,000. Compensation depends on experience and qualifications.
Job Type: Full-time, Hybrid
Date Active: 2.11.2024
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt