New York, NY; Chicago, IL
The Billing Supervisor is responsible for the timely and successful handling of all billing activities through the development and implementation of billing procedures ensuring compliance with client billing guidelines. The Billing Supervisor manages members of the billing team, focusing on training and development, while frequently assessing workload to ensure all invoices are processed in a timely manner. The Billing Supervisor maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and firm matters.
- Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Directly supervises and manages employees and is responsible for their overall direction, coordination, and evaluation. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the firm’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; and making recommendations for hiring, promotion, compensation, and termination.
- Attend monthly meetings with partners to track action items and ensure the completion of assigned tasks. Follow firm policies for good WIP hygiene and proposed write offs of aged inventory.
- Participate in the interviewing and training of new billing staff as required. Provide consistent, timely feedback to billing staff and participate in the annual performance review process.
- Monitor the billing status of work within their team and follow up with subordinates as necessary. Ensure that established workflows are followed and that invoices are generated on a timely basis. Escalate issues to billing team members as required.
- Support the billing team by undertaking complex bills each month. Will be assigned to one or more large clients for billing support and/or be aligned with a specific practice group.
- Act as a subject matter expert for billing related matters and support the billing department with technical/process-oriented assistance related to invoice generation.
- Develop financial system training for billing team in collaboration with the Billing Manager.
- Recommend and implement internal process improvements to maximize productivity in all aspects of the billing function. Make recommendations to management on strategies to improve inventory flow and overall realization.
- Assess team capabilities periodically to ensure billing team remain abreast of new technologies and procedures.
- Manage and regularly review billing team responsibilities and assignments to ensure the highest level of client service to attorneys, firm management and clients.
- Review and adjust billing team workload to accommodate fluctuations in billing volume, eliminating barriers to success and limiting staff overtime when possible
- Prepare reports as required by clients and third parties, including but not limited to: timekeeper listings, timekeeper rates, outstanding bills and summary reporting for clients fiscal year.
- Partner with the Billing Manager to develop standard processes and procedures for all phases of the billing cycle. Document all processes and updates as required.
- Participate in finance systems upgrades, ensuring proper testing and implementation of systems integrations that affect billing.
- Collaborate with e-Billing and Collection teams to ensure timely attention of all issues that impact the flow of billing processes from matter set up to payment of invoices.
- Develop, mentor and coach Billing Coordinators; lead the team as a role model to champion firm initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting or Finance is required; an advanced degree or certificate in Project Management is preferred. Seven or more years of billing experience and a minimum of four years of experience supervising all, or portions of, the billing function at an Am Law 100 law firm is required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Proficiency with Elite and/or Aderant time and billing software, or similar industry standard, is required.
- Advanced proficiency with MS Excel spreadsheets, including features such as pivot tables, charts and graphs and formulas and proficiency with MS Word and PowerPoint software is required.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative in order to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment, and ensure work is completed within strict deadlines. Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts.
- Excellent organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish information in report/Excel format, written correspondence, e-mail, or verbally.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to act independently and make decisions within scope of the position’s responsibilities.
- Possess excellent knowledge of reading, writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, proofreading, and formatting in order to interpret source data, prepare complex client billing, proofread material for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors, and perform file maintenance.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Work occasionally requires more than 37.5 hours per week (35 hours per week in New York) to perform the essential duties of the position.
The annualized salary range for this position is $100,000 – $135,000, exempt. Compensation depends on location, experience, and qualifications.
Job Type: Full-time, Hybrid
Salary: $100,000 - $135,000
Date Active: 2.13.2024
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt