New York, NY
The Finance Manager is responsible for the preparation of the firm’s Audited Financial Statements and statutory reporting, preparation of balance sheet analyses and lead role with external auditors. Essential duties are performed personally and in collaboration with other senior members of the Finance team. The Finance Manager maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and firm matters.
- Responsible for the preparation of the firm’s Audited Financial Statements, including Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet, and Cashflow Statements.
- Point person and coordinator between the firm’s outside audit provider and other senior members of the finance team to complete the year-end audit for all Katten entities worldwide, including, U.S., U.K, China and Consolidated audit.
- Prepare selected account reconciliations, audit workpapers and other audit sample information that are requisite to the preparation of the audited financial statements.
- Review selected account reconciliations and variance analyses prepared by finance team members that are requisite to the preparation of the audited financial statements.
- Monitor and review accounting activity that directly impacts audited financial statements (e.g., overhead charges, intercompany activity, bank reconciliations, office leases, etc.)
- Periodically review and recommend procedures and protocols that support segregation of duties within the finance function, ensuring financial controls that protect the firm’s assets consistent with Partnership Agreements, firm policy, and business objectives.
- Participate in the development of policies and procedures intended to strengthen controls in business operations (e.g., Travel Policy, Meals & Entertainment approval, etc.)
- Investigate and report on audit and compliance issues as needed.
- Remain abreast of current audit and compliance industry standards and preparation of recommendations that align with firm objectives.
- Advisor to CFO regarding audit and compliance standards.
- Investigate and resolve inquiries and issues regarding audit and compliance matters in a timely and effective manner.
- In collaboration with management, develop policies and procedures that result in increased staff efficiencies.
- Other ad hoc requests and reporting as requested by management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or equivalent (CPA required). Minimum of 7 years progressive audit and financial experience with a strong background in all areas of statutory financial reporting are required. Experience at a national (or international) public accounting firm is required, experience at a manager level at an Am Law 50 law firm is preferred.
- Experience with end-to-end financial statement preparation with knowledge of partnership business models in a large legal or professional services financial department is also required. Knowledge of domestic and international accounting standards.
- Strong general ledger, and technical analysis skills are required. Knowledge of the accounting processes and reporting requirements used by a large national law firm preferred.
- Proficient experience with Elite and or Aderant accounting software is preferred.
- Proficient with MS Excel spreadsheets, including features such as pivot tables, charts and graphs and formulas; Proficiency with MS Word and PowerPoint software.
- Knowledgeable of current accounting and tax trends and practices, recommending and implementing new policies and procedures.
- Outstanding analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail, precision, and logic with comprehensive knowledge of complex accounting/taxation principles and practices in order to conduct detailed analyses of accounts that effect partner taxation.
- Ability to perform complex mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, verifying numerical data, preparing various accounting/taxation and financial reports.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts.
- Supervisory/managerial skills necessary in order to interact and communicate with subordinates, provide instruction/direction/training, determine work priorities, and coordinate the activities of a work team.
- Ability to understand and support firm goals, services, culture, and strategy in order to represent the firm in a positive, professional manner.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Ability and availability to travel to other firm locations when required.
The annualized salary range for this position is $150,000 to $190,000. Actual pay will be adjusted based on experience and other job-related factors permitted by law.
Job Type: Full-time, Hybrid
Salary: $150,000 - $190,000
Date Active: 2.16.2024
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt