Boston, MA; New York, NY; or Washington, DC
The Attorney Development Manager (ADM) has the opportunity to make a direct impact on the lives of our attorneys by helping foster their career development through access to assignments, balancing of workload, coaching, and strategic initiatives. The ADM will report directly to the Director of Professional Development, and together they will work on firmwide initiatives focused on growing and retaining our top talent.
- Builds relationships with partners and associates across the firm and develops a deep understanding of their work. Facilitates and fosters effective communication between the associates, partners, Practice Group Leaders (PGLs), and the Managing Directors.
- Manages the matter assignment system in our US offices for associates including coordinating with partners and other supervising attorneys to identify staffing needs.
- Monitors workloads and professional development of associates and allocates additional work with an eye toward achieving an equitable distribution of assignments consistent with the clients’ needs and the associates’ individual professional development goals. Encourages and facilitates cross-departmental and cross-office staffing on matters.
- Facilitates and fosters effective communication between the associates, partners, Practice Group Leaders (PGLs), and the Managing Directors.
- Provide coaching for associates on strategies for success; work with associates on individual career development and training plans in alignment with increasing tenure.
- Keeps PGLs and the Managing Directors apprised of associate performance and productivity.
- Monitors associate performance. Drafts evaluations and works with the Director of Professional Development to facilitate the delivery of formal reviews. Facilitates the provision of real-time interim feedback.
- Assists the Director of Professional Development with the administration of the advisor program, assigns advisors to new attorneys and lateral hires, and solicits feedback from both advisors and advisees to ensure that the program is meeting its goal of enhancing associates’ professional development.
- Works with the Director of Professional Development on firm-wide initiatives designed to enhance associate development and retention.
- Works with the Director of Professional Development to facilitate associate on-boarding and integration. Conducts department orientation for new hires and facilitates matters relating to the departure of attorneys, including transitioning cases to remaining lawyers and conducting exit interviews.
- Helps to develop and manage the first-year associate orientation.
- Works with the Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) to support and develop diverse talent and implement the Firm’s DEI initiatives.
- Works with the Recruiting team to identify and evaluate hiring needs.
- Works with the Director of Professional Development and the Recruiting team to manage summer associate work allocation and evaluations.
- Consults with Human Resources on personnel matters affecting the junior and mid-level associates.
- Juris Doctorate.
- 3+ years of related experience, preferably in a large law firm environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Thrives in a collaborative environment.
- Sound judgment and ability to respect, protect, and maintain highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Job will include travel to our US offices.
Salary range based on experience level and location: $100,000 – $160,000.
Salary: $100,000 – $160,000
Date Active: 8.13.2023
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt