Assistant Managing Clerk
New York, NY
The Assistant Managing Clerk is responsible for the service and filing of legal papers, monitoring and retrieval of documents and information from the courts, and researching and answering questions concerning procedural issues and court rules.
12pm – 8pm ET, with the ability to work later / overtime to handle last minute filings.
- Arrange for service of process, pleadings and other legal documents.
- File pleadings and other documents in court (conventionally or electronically) according to established firm and court procedures and within communicated deadlines.
- Conduct research (online and in court) as assigned by the Managing Attorney, Managing Clerk and the Senior Assistant Managing Clerk, and communicate findings to them and to others.
- Provide advice to attorneys and legal assistants regarding electronic filing procedures and protocols and communicate with them about court filings and service of documents; perform a basic review of documents for proper form and consistency with applicable rules prior to filing.
- Arrange for delivery of courtesy copies of papers to judges and other court personnel, as directed.
- Assist with opening cases, docketing court documents and calendaring deadlines in CourtAlert, as requested.
- Add and delete cases and recipients in the various case monitoring systems used by the Managing Attorney’s Office.
- Request information from outside court service agencies and communicate with process servers, as directed.
- Retrieve court documents as requested by attorneys and other firm personnel.
- Contact court personnel to discuss issues relating to court procedure and develop working relationships with court personnel.
- Generate and distribute daily reports from Courthouse News Service and CourtAlert to Litigation Attorneys.
- Assist with requests for court forms, templates and precedents.
- Maintain current database of attorney e-filing usernames and passwords and assist with creating and maintaining attorney user accounts.
- Input daily time sheets.
- Arrange for notarizations and legalization of documents (apostilles).
- Assist with miscellaneous Managing Attorney’s Office projects, as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred.
- Associate’s Degree Required.
- At least 2-3 years of prior managing clerk experience preferred with particular knowledge of and experience with electronic filing protocols and documents.
- Licensed NYS Notary (for in-person notarization), or willing to become licensed.
- Knowledge of court procedures, service requirements and filing requirements
- Prior e-filing and docketing experience in a managing attorney’s office and/or experience within a state or federal court system
- Familiarity with CourtAlert (or comparable docket management system), Bloomberg Law, PACER, PacerPro, CourtLink, Courthouse News Service, File & Serve
- Familiarity with CourtAlert.com, NYSCEF, CM-ECF, ACMS
- Ability to manage time and resources effectively
- Excellent verbal, written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates good judgment
- Ability to collaborate with others and have a strong client service focus
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Good knowledge of MS Office which includes ability to work with pdf versions, zip, scanning etc.
- Flexibility to work extended hours outside of ordinary work hours and occasional weekend and holiday hours as needed.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to monitor and respond to email and phone inquiries using firm issued mobile device outside of regularly scheduled hours.
- Ability to travel on public transportation.
- Ability to work outside the office in public settings
The good faith, annualized salary range for this position is $48,680 to $68,000 (nonexempt), depending on the candidate’s overall experience and other job-related factors permitted by law such as, education, training, other responsibilities. The annual salary range listed is just one component our client’s total compensation and benefits package which includes a discretionary bonus, paid leave, life, health, accident and disability insurance; and a 401(k) plan.
Job Type: Full-time, Onsite
Salary: $48,680 - $68,000
Date Active: 2.18.2024
Exempt/Not Exempt: Not Exempt