The Business Development and Marketing Manager is a key team member within the Marketing Department. The Manager serves as a dedicated liaison to one or more practice and/or industry groups. They work directly with the group leaders and other partners to develop and execute clear strategies and business plans and manage an aligned range of business development and marketing initiatives.
The Manager takes an active role in learning about the service offering, lawyers, and clients of the assigned groups and related practices. They develop and lead initiatives to deepen knowledge about our clients, their business needs, and relevant firm capabilities to foster cross-selling.
The Manager may have direct supervisory responsibility for Business Development and Marketing Specialist and/or Coordinator level professionals. Additionally, they are expected to lead by example, mentor junior members of the team, and embody the highest standards of service delivery. The role requires the development of strong and effective working relationships within the Marketing Department, as well as with other professional business functions, and lawyers, across the Firm’s global platform.
Practice and Client Development:
- Consults with practice/industry leaders and other partners to develop and execute marketing and client development plans for the group and individual lawyers
- Attends and contributes to practice/industry group meetings and planning sessions
- Identifies and recommends business development opportunities and trends using data analytics, competitive intelligence, industry trends, market analyses, and similar resources
- Evaluates the development of business prospects and cross-marketing efforts and makes recommendations to practice/industry leaders
- Manages, develops, and refines the groups’ business development “infrastructure” (e.g., written collateral, experience database/matter lists, contact lists, opportunity tracking, etc.), exercising an acute level of quality control to ensure that all marketing collateral, communications, matter lists, and other materials are consistent, error-free, and up to date; ensures processes are efficient and the best possible use is made of available technology and other resources
- Helps group leaders prepare and manage the group’s BD budget; tracks and analyzes practice/industry initiatives, evaluating the ROI of activities to recommend and plan future efforts
- Coordinates with the Market Intelligence team to conduct industry and client research to aid in practice development initiatives
- Facilitates the planning, implementation, and follow-up of new business or cross-marketing opportunities
Proposals and Pitches:
- Serves as project manager and key contributor for RFPs, pitches, and other business development projects, both for primary groups and others, as needed
- Spearheads briefing discussions to propose and/or understand the opportunity
- Writes new business proposals and produces targeted, tailored responses to RFIs/RFPs
- Serves as advisor in preparing and rehearsing pitch teams
- Supports follow-up and debrief activities post-pitch and reports them back to Firm leaders
Marketing and Profile-raising Activities:
- Leads preparation of submissions for practice/industry rankings, awards, surveys, league tables, and other recognitions for assigned groups
- Works with Regional BD and Marketing team members to plan client programs and firm-sponsored events
- Works with the Communications and PR team to identify thought leadership topics and firm lawyers to engage in media commentary, article publication, podcasts, etc.
- Recommends and facilitates the involvement of Firm lawyers in professional organizations that will enhance the visibility of the lawyers and the Firm in relevant practice/industry platforms
- Participates in hiring, managing, and developing staff; oversees daily operations and monitors staff work product; manages professional development of staff, including establishing goals, coaching, and training; prepares annual performance appraisals and provides timely feedback on performance
- Delegates work efficiently and effectively to other team members
- Collaborates with other leaders and business professionals within and outside the Marketing Department on projects that cross practices, regions and/or functions
- A minimum of eight (8) years of professional marketing, business development, or other relevant experience
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in marketing, communication, business/finance, or related field
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Marketing, business development, strategic planning, sales, and/or other relevant experience in a law firm or other professional services organization
- Experience and knowledge of the business/legal landscape in assigned practice areas/industries
- Supervisory, managerial, and/or project management experience
- Advanced degree in a related area, such as marketing, law, business, or communications (M.B.A. or J.D. a considerable plus)
- Working knowledge of customer relationship, pipeline, and experience management databases such as InterAction, Salesforce, and/or Foundation
- Familiarity with relevant company/market research tools, as well as law firm rankings, awards, and league table publications
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good judgment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others
- Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities
The salary range for this role is $126,000 – $152,000.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Responsibilities above satisfactorily and meet the requirements. The requirements listed are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Salary: $126,000 – $152,000.
Date Active: 8.11.2023
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt