Our client, an AmLaw50 firm, has an opening for a Business Development Manager within their Marketing Department in their Washington, DC office. The Business Development Manager works closely with the Patent Prosecution practice and Sr. Manager to develop and sustain loyal client base for increased work, revenues, and profitability.
Develop Marketing Plans
- Develop concise and actionable business development and marketing plans for assigned practices, with underlying budget recommendations, collaborating closely with Sr. Business Development Manager to ensure plans integrate with and support firmwide business development and marketing strategies. Collaborate with other relevant practice groups to promote cross-sharing ideas. Consistently demonstrate the value that Marketing Department resources can bring to bear in meeting the firm’s financial and practice goals.
- Make recommendations to practice group leaders and Sr. Business Development Manager on a broad range of business development and marketing strategies, demonstrating strong understanding of assigned practice group and industry norms, terms, and business procedures. Encourage engagement and collaboration by facilitating the development of business plans within each group and other relevant practice groups.
- Keep abreast of developments in the law for assigned groups and relevant industries that could result in expanded or new client opportunities, etc. Develop proactive responses to advance business development.
Deploy Marketing Initiatives
- Implement business development and marketing plans for assigned practice groups, ensuring that the implementation is effectively managed, appropriately budgeted, and communicated.
- Draft and maintain creative practice group marketing materials, including practice group descriptions, bios, and content for the website. Writing projects will include customized content for pitches and RFPs.
- Conduct competitive intelligence and research of prospective targets, industries, markets, and conflicts via firmwide resources.
- Proactively participate in key industry networks, identifying partnership opportunities to enhance the position of the Firm or practice groups in the marketplace.
- Lead and execute the timely completion of submissions to directories and ranking authorities, ensure rankings in preferred publications, such as Chambers & Partners, are maximized.
- Collaborate closely with practice groups and Marketing Department to produce client development seminars. Take seminars from concept through all stages of development and implementation, from targeting attendance participation to leading action-oriented follow-up.
- Collaborate closely with practice group leaders and Marketing Department to identify speaking and sponsorship opportunities; target appropriate membership opportunities, etc.; create visibility; and advance business development goals.
- Assist assigned practice groups and individual partners to prepare for client pitches; track results of pitches and prepare responsive reports and analyses incorporating strategies for increasing effectiveness.
Collaborate with Marketing Managers and Staff
- Identify cross-selling opportunities through collecting and proactively sharing information with other business development managers and the Marketing team.
- Collaborate closely with managers and staff in all areas of Marketing to ensure strong intra-departmental communication, client service, and seamless deployment of marketing programs.
- Develop supportive relationships with offices where practice group attorneys are located, and ensure that business development and marketing support is collaboratively provided.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required. At least seven years of relevant experience in professional services marketing; law firm experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of Intellectual Property and Patent Prosecution desired, with direct work experience a plus.
- Strong knowledge of core marketing principles including driving innovative tools and programs, competitive intelligence, market research, and pitch and RFP responses.
- High degree of motivation, with driving sense of responsibility, accountability, and responsiveness.
- Excellent writing skills. Ability to focus written materials to ensure impact on general business, legal, and niche populations.
- Excellent attention to detail in all areas, including writing, copy editing, researching, and managing data.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills; ability to manage multiple requests, assess priorities, and achieve solutions under deadlines.
- Strong business acumen; the ability to recognize marketing and business development opportunities and to pursue them strategically.
The salary range for this position is $140,000-$175,000, depending on experience and qualifications.