New York, NY
The Litigation Business Development Specialist plays a key, partner-facing role on the nationwide Litigation BD team, which covers all of the Firm’s primary Litigation practice areas and the 350-attorney Litigation Department as a whole.
The Specialist will focus extensively on day-to-day high-level execution of business development and marketing strategies and related assignments, including: 1) serving as BD lead or co-lead on client pitches and proposals and RFPs, and liaising with partners, attorneys, and BD Managers to draft and complete these assignments, as well as related projects; 2) identifying and communicating BD opportunities to partners; and 3) overseeing all aspects of the directory and award submission process, working with partners to draft and finalize submissions and develop effective client reference strategies.
The Specialist will also work closely with the Director of Business Development, BD Managers, and Litigation Department and practice group leadership to develop and execute strategic projects, and assess the Department’s initiatives.
Primary Responsibilities and/or Essential Functions
- Work with Director, Managers, and partners to develop and execute on a day-to-day basis overall Business Development strategy, initiatives, and work product in support of the Firm, Litigation practices and practice leadership, and cross-practice and individual attorney initiatives.
- Interfacing with partners, the Director, and BD Managers, oversee, execute, and draft client pitches, proposals, and responses to RFPs, as well as commence and complete related assignments such as client research.
- Execute Firm and Departmental profile-raising objectives and oversee directory and legal awards submission process, including working with partners and attorneys to develop compelling narratives, drafting submissions and awards nominations, managing client references, and liaising with major publications as necessary.
- Plan and manage client-facing events, including in-office (or virtual) Firm-sponsored events, CLE presentations, and other special engagements, working with partners, as well as functional specialists within the broader Business Development Department, including Creative Services, CRM, Professional Development, and the Web Team.
- Utilize major external data analysis tools (e.g., CapitalIQ, PACER, Westlaw and LEXIS, Bloomberg Law) to complete research, competitive intelligence and market trends assessments, as well as generate leads, and utilize internal databases and libraries to track pitch and other BD-related activity, and update experience logs and the Firm’s client-relationship management system.
- Oversee the Litigation BD team’s docket monitoring and lead generation processes, including daily lead emails and news sweeps, in furtherance of client development goals.
- In collaboration with Director and Litigation BD team, oversee dissemination of thought leadership through client alerts, blog posts and blog development, and other projects.
- Assist Public Relations team with profile-raising and reporter outreach initiatives, as necessary.
- Any other responsibilities or special projects as assigned by Director.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in Business Development or Marketing roles that covered Litigation practice areas (e.g., Securities Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Employment Litigation, White Collar/Investigations) and are necessary to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Exceptional writing, editing, and analytical capabilities; must be capable of synthesizing data and developing themes and capturing them in a narrative. Writing test required.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with Word, PowerPoint and Excel, are required.
- Experience using and manipulating legal and other third-party databases (e.g. PACER, Westlaw, Lexis Nexis, Bloomberg, Lex Machina, Monitor Suite, etc.) highly preferred.
- Ability to multitask and work independently in a fast-paced and high pressure environment; must possess a very strong attention to detail and a professional demeanor.
- Self-motivated, with excellent time management skills, project management skills and sound judgment required.
- Willingness to work outside normal business hours and on weekends as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in liberal arts or a marketing- or business-related discipline, such as business administration.
- A sophisticated understanding of law firms and litigation practice areas is necessary.
Salary: Competitive market compensation
Date Active: 2.10.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt