Responsible for the daily operations of reviewing new client and matter intake forms, engagement letters and any applicable outside counsel guidelines for set up and implementation in the firm’s billing system. This position will work in coordination with the rates and ebilling teams to ensure full compliance and configuration of the client and matter data for invoice processing.
- Reviews new business intake forms and documentation, including any engagement letters and other supporting material for set up and maintenance of the billing system in accordance with the terms of engagement. This includes addresses, rate levels, time increments, phase task activity code sets, and other crucial billing information.
• Communicate and clarify with attorneys regarding any discrepancy in client set up materials, or advise and follow up on arrangements requiring additional approvals, including management and the firm’s Billing Rate Committee approval.
• Reviews all client outside guidelines, confirming terms are set and being administered appropriately by the billing system.
• Escalates and affirms sign off by the responsible partners, the General Counsel and firm’s Chief Information Security Officer, any terms which run contra to firm policies or create business risk issues for the firm.
• Maintain clear and summarized notes within the billing system of all client and matter set ups.
• Assists attorneys and professional assistants with understanding client arrangements, and respond to inquiries or provide assistance when staff are completing new business forms as needed.
• Consult and coordinate with the firm’s conflicts and new business team on special handling of new client and matter requests, including the review and analysis of former clients for reactivation.
• Set up and maintain appropriate disbursement controls in the system based on client’s expense terms.
• Assists Rates Analysts with annual client review, ensuring client updates are completed to specifications and guidelines, and timekeepers are updated and cleared for billing.
• Supports Billing Manager in the coordination and set up of secondment and other firm matters as directed and approved by Talent Management or firm leadership.
• Participates in and collaborates with Business Systems team to evaluate processes and software for intake and client data, as well as determining best practices and efficiencies for the handling of special billing arrangements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Job is performed in a typical office environment, but is subject to time pressures and constraints, and is often dependent on input from others.
- Long hours are required routinely, particularly during the first and last weeks of the month, and time off must be coordinated with the other team staff.
Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred, in accounting or other financial area.
Experience: Three to five years of billing or other relevant experience required, preferably in a law firm or other large professional services organization.
Special Knowledge: Knowledge and familiarity reviewing and documenting outside counsel guidelines and other special client contracts. Strong background in understanding rates and other alternative fee arrangements, including but not limited to contingent fees, holdbacks, fixed/capped fees, blended rates, volume discounts, and other specialized pricing agreements.
Technical Skills: Proficient in using Microsoft Office Outlook and Word, with strong working knowledge of Excel. Prior experience with Aderant, Elite, or similar financial system is preferred. Demonstrated ability to learn new software quickly. Must have proficiency in typing and spelling.
Attributes: Able to resolve problems in a timely manner, and to gather and analyze information skillfully. Able to provide excellent customer service and to plan and prioritize work effectively. Keen attention to details; strong organizational, interpersonal, proofing and communication skills (both oral and written). Able to work under pressure and within deadlines while handling multiple projects. Strong team and service orientation; able to adapt easily to change. Demonstrates ability to work independently and with minimal oversight.
Other Qualifications: Ability to maintain confidential information.
Salary: Highly competitive
Date Active: 4.6.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt