Senior Manager, Employee Relations & HR Business Partner
Mountain View, New York, Foster City, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, Santa Monica
The Senior Manager of Employee Relations and HR Business Partner is responsible for overseeing HR operational compliance by advising and directing on matters related to employment law and the management of employees and employment related issues. In coordination with the Human Resources Business Partners (HRBP), this position will serve as a consultant to management on human resource-related issues. The role assesses and anticipates HR-related needs and seeks to develop employee engagement and integrated solutions; formulates partnerships across the HR function to deliver value-added service to management and employees that reflect the firm’s objectives.
- Coaches, advises, and mentors all levels of management through employee relations matters; apply conflict resolution techniques to solve employee-manager and employee-employee issues or other situational conflict.
- Conducts effective and timely investigations of employee complaints and employee relations issues; makes recommendations and implements corrective action as needed.
- Helps create and sustain an environment where employees are comfortable speaking to management about issues and concerns.
- Manages the firm’s staff performance evaluation programs including a focus on the annual staff written review process; partner with management teams and other HRBP’s to understand trends in employee performance issues and advise on appropriate remediation.
- Handles employee relations counseling. Meets confidentially with employees to discuss concerns and grievances, to clarify firm policies and procedures and to resolve conflicts. Works with firm Counsel to respond to EDD and other agency claims.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of HR policies and procedures to ensure compliance with the current law.
- Manages staff offboarding process, both voluntary and involuntary; coordinates separation meetings, process of final wages, witness separations, and ensures all required separation documentation is provided to employee.
- Remains abreast of new developments in employment law; ensures compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment; advises and directs on matters related to the management of employees, reducing legal risks, and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Facilitates training for staff/managers including writing and conducting performance reviews, wage and hour compliance, and supervising staff. Ensures that there are ample development opportunities pertaining to employee relations and related compliance for employees.
- Monitors on-boarding and off-boarding of contingent workers to ensure compliance.
HR Business Partner (in collaboration with other HRBP’s)
- Advise all levels of management around complex HR issues including, but not limited to, business conduct, performance management, HR policies, team development, and best practices.
- Provide coaching, guidance, and conflict management resolution to staff and managers.
- Evaluate and review employment decisions in response to employee concerns.
- Proactively identify opportunities to enhance the employee experience by increasing employee productivity and engagement, make recommendations and implement appropriate solutions.
- Collaborate with HR teams and managers to help facilitate organizational changes; partner with Recruiting, Engagement and Training to craft programs that continually develop our employees.
- Provide strategic business partnership through thought partnership and coaching to all levels of the firm.
- Monitor the effectiveness of HR programs and initiatives to ensure the business can attract, develop and retain high performing colleagues, ensuring the best fit, HR processes are embedded and reviewed.
- Strong knowledge of state and federal employment law.
- Strong background in investigations with management experience that includes counseling and discipline, conflict resolution and performance.
- Highly developed interpersonal and written communication skills including the ability to interact effectively with clients, attorneys, and support staff to determine short-term and long‑term project needs.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships while maintaining strict confidentiality.
- Highly developed problem-solving skills using a team approach to solve conflicts and complex problems.
- Ability to coordinate numerous projects and tasks simultaneously and set appropriate priority levels; ability to coordinate project resources when required.
- Ability to respond creatively and with composure under pressure.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as required of an exempt employee and to travel to various office locations as needed.
- Reporting to the Senior HR Director, Strategy and Operations, the qualified candidate will have a minimum of 7 years of on-point experience (law firm or other professional services experience preferred). Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in HR management required.
Salary: Competitive based on experience
Date Active: 10.21.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt