New York, NY, Boston, MA or Washington, DC
An Am Law 50 law firm with 16 offices worldwide, has an opening for a Senior Business Development Manager within their Marketing Group in their New York, Boston or Washington, DC offices.
Guided by department objectives and priorities, works closely with assigned practice groups and industries to develop and sustain loyal client base for increased work, revenues, and profitability. Creates and implements strategic business development plans. Anticipates, and identifies opportunities for promoting and cross‑selling. Conducts research and competitive analysis to identify opportunities to deepen existing client relationships, expand the client base, and increase external and internal visibility. Provides thought leadership and executes on targeted marketing methods including social media strategies, CLE seminars, organizational affiliations, and initiatives. Develops customized pitches/RFPs, presentations, and marketing materials. Ensures meticulous execution of all projects and work, with data and content consistently accurate and well presented. Attains synergies for all marketing programs through effective collaboration. Ensures client service and satisfaction are attained in all areas of the position. This individual will be supporting the firm’s Financial Services, Fintech, and Investment Management industries.
Develop Marketing Plans
- Lead the development of concise and actionable business development and marketing plans, with underlying budget recommendations, aligning strategies with the firm’s marketing and business development goals. Consistently demonstrate the value that Marketing Department resources can bring to bear in meeting the firm’s financial and practice goals.
- Advise practice group leaders on a broad range of business development and marketing strategies, demonstrating depth of expertise and understanding of practice group and industry norms, terms, and business procedures relevant to assigned practice groups. Encourage engagement and collaboration by facilitating the development of business plans within each group and other relevant practice groups.
- Collaborate with the Client Relations Group and practice group leaders to establish a client targeting and relationship management strategy.
- Keep abreast of developments in the law for assigned groups and relevant industries that could result in expanded or new client opportunities, etc. Develop proactive responses to advance business development.
- Independently develop ideas and concepts to influence business development strategies. Collaborate closely with Chief Marketing Officer to ensure plans integrate with and support firmwide business development and marketing strategies.
Deploy Marketing Initiatives
- Implement business development and marketing plans for assigned practice groups, ensuring that the implementation is effectively managed, appropriately budgeted, and communicated.
- Produce and maintain creative practice group marketing materials, including practice group descriptions, bios, and content for the website. Writing projects include customized content for pitches and RFPs.
- Conduct competitive intelligence and research of prospective targets, industries, markets, and conflicts via firmwide resources. Ensure existing client relationships are fully leveraged where possible.
- Proactively participate in key industry networks, identifying partnership opportunities to enhance the position of the firm or practice groups in the market place.
- Participate in completing timely submissions to directories and ranking authorities, ensure rankings in preferred publications, such as Chambers & Partners, are maximized.
- Collaborate closely with practice groups and Marketing Department to produce client development seminars. Take seminars from concept through all stages of development and implementation, from targeting attendance participation to leading action-oriented follow-up.
- Collaborate closely with practice group leaders and Marketing Department to identify speaking and sponsorship opportunities; target appropriate membership opportunities, etc.; create visibility; and advance business development goals.
- Assist assigned practice groups and individual partners to prepare for client pitches; track results of pitches and prepare responsive reports and analyses incorporating strategies for increasing effectiveness.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required, MBA preferred.
- At least seven years of relevant experience in professional services marketing; law firm experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of assigned practice areas, with direct work experience a plus.
- Strong knowledge of core marketing principles including driving innovative tools and programs, competitive intelligence, market research, and pitch and RFP responses.
Teamwork and Applied Skills
- High degree of motivation, with driving sense of responsibility, accountability, and responsiveness.
- Excellent writing skills. Ability to focus written materials to ensure impact on general business, legal, and niche populations.
- Strong business acumen; the ability to recognize marketing and business development opportunities and to pursue them strategically.
- Excellent attention to detail skills in all areas, including writing, copy editing, researching, and managing data.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and capability to work effectively in a matrixed organization.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills; ability to manage multiple requests, assess priorities, and achieve solutions under deadlines.
- Ability to quickly assess information, anticipate issues and outcomes, and make effective decisions, including ability to draw clear conclusions from a diverse collection of data.
- Talent for creating client satisfaction; demonstrated ability to focus on the client value in all work.
- Flexibility and willingness to work hours needed to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Ability to keep confidential any information, observations, or viewpoints regarding firm business matters.
Who We Are
The Firm’s culture is defined by their deeds. They’re passionate about what they do. They’re equally passionate about how they do it. They resist hierarchies and operate within a model of respect — for their colleagues, their ideas, and the differences that make them stronger. Should you find you’re ready to do the best work of your life, we encourage you to let us know!
Salary: Highly competitive above market compensation
Date Active: 12.13.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt