New York, NY
The Senior Billing Specialist position supports billing and collections activities for a defined group of Billing Partners and firm clients. Primary responsibilities include monitoring the inventory of unbilled time and accounts receivable and preparing of client invoices.
- Prepare and forward pro forma billing print-outs to billing attorney; make edits to proformas per Partner instructions including, but not limited to: time descriptions, transfers, write down/off of unbilled time/costs, in accordance with firm policy.
- Prepare draft and final invoice for Partner approval; finalize and post invoice(s) in firm financial software; prepare and ensure successful submission of e-bill(s); monitor and report on status when necessary.
- Monitor compliance with client’s Outside Counsel Billing Guidelines.
- Proactively communicate and meet monthly with assigned Partners to review unbilled (WIP) and unpaid (A/R) inventory.
- Document and update Partner & client billing protocols as needed.
- Continually monitor WIP, aged A/R, unapplied or on-account billings/cash to assist Billing Partners in meeting billing & collection goals; document and report on aged WIP & A/R.
- Audit new clients and matters for your billing partners assuring proper setup in accordance with client and Partner requirements/preferences; necessary e-billing task/activity codes, matter ID and/or budgets are incorporated in matter details; ensure alternative fee arrangements (AFAs) are coordinated with your manager; compliance with client’s billing requirements (i.e. time increments, frequency, invoice(s) template).
- Follow up on partially paid invoices to assure the firm collects A/R in full; consistently “clean-up” stale time/uncollectable amounts and obtain necessary authorization for write-offs in accordance with firm policy.
- Follow up with Partners regarding on-account invoices to ensure WIP is relieved in a timely and accurate manner.
- Establish effective & open lines of communication with clients’ financial team as requested by billing partners, so that the firm’s invoices are processed expeditiously. Troubleshoot client invoice related issues, such as: e-billing questions/problems, provide back-up for billed expenses, etc.
- Respond to client inquiries/questions in a timely manner and escalate issues as needed to Manager, Director or other firm management as needed.
- Collaborate with the billing/collection team and other finance personnel and work closely with Partners and other legal staff to achieve the firm’s goals.
- Coordinate ad hoc projects at the request of clients, partners, and firm management.
- Provide coverage during absence of other team members.
- Confirm compliance with the firm’s accounting, billing and collection policies and controls and ensure integrity of the firm’s financial and operating information.
- Prepare various reports and analyses, as requested.
- Other responsibilities within the billing/collection function as they may be assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; degree preferably in Accounting or Business.
- 5+ years’ experience in a large law firm or comparable industry.
- Software: Elite (Enterprise or 3E) or Aderant a plus, Elite preferred; Design Gallery, Star*Collect, Target*Cash, and InTapp Time is a definite plus.
- Proficiency in MS Outlook, Word, Adobe, NetDocs; Excel a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with Ebilling Hub and E-Billing vendor sites preferred.
- Ability to function as a self-starter, work independently and with a large team, and meet strict deadlines; detail & results oriented.
- Flexibility with overtime when necessary.
Salary: $95,000.00-$105,000.00, dependent on experience
Date Active: 9.5.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt