Pro Bono Coordinator
New York, NY
Under the general supervision and direction of the Pro Bono Attorneys, the Pro Bono Coordinator is responsible for supporting the practice administration and operations needs of the firm-wide Pro Bono Department. The Pro Bono Coordinator is expected to perform the following responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, external clients and legal services partners, while also maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. This is a non-JD role.
Operational and Administrative Support
- Assist the Pro Bono Attorneys with the management staffing, administration and operations of pro bono matters, including pro bono legal clinics and pro bono projects for Staff Attorneys.
- Assist in preparation of extensive statistical and narrative public reports (client requests, RFPs, American Lawyer, Vault, NALP, award nominations, local and regional publications, bar associations, etc.).
- Assist Pro Bono Attorneys to coordinate and execute pro bono events including clinics, trainings, and special projects.
- Serve as a source of information on the firm’s pro bono policies for attorneys and staff throughout the firm.
- Run case lists for departing attorneys and monitor responses to ensure cases are properly transitioned, under the guidance of the Pro Bono Attorney.
- Maintain updated list of pro bono training opportunities and assist with process of connecting attorneys to trainings relevant to their pro bono matters.
- Assist with updating training materials and templates and coordinating with the Pro Bono Attorneys to maintain knowledge resource tools.
- Assist with internal and external marketing efforts, including drafting write-ups of pro bono matters, updating pro bono section of firm website and internal resource pages with timely information, maintaining current list of pro bono awards, and assistance drafting pro bono newsletters.
- Maintaining and updating databases used by the Pro Bono Department, including Pro Bono Manager, the Pro Bono Practice database, email lists, the Matter Intelligence System and maintaining data therein, as well updating spreadsheets (including, for example, survey responses).
- Maintain information relating to attorney interest and capacity; help develop and implement attorney interest surveys.
- Utilize reports and coordinate with Finance to ensure accuracy in reporting.
- Track compliance with signed engagement letters and disengagement letters requirement, and ensuring that engagement documents are maintained properly.
- Create and generate reports relevant to the firm’s Pro Bono practice for use by assigning partners, department managers, Pro Bono Attorneys, and Public Matters Co-Chairs.
- Secure status report from departing attorneys on all open pro bono matters in which they have billed time or served in a supervisory role.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of related practice support experience in a law firm or legal services organization preferred.
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint preferred.
- Strong written and oral English communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills including attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Ability to prioritize, manage workload and adjust to changing priorities, work independently and as a member of a team, manage multiple projects with specific deadlines and time sensitive projects.
- Ability to quickly and proactively identify and analyze problems, develop solutions and deliver results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and sensitivity to the complexities of legal representations.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for learning about and contributing to program development and the provision of pro bono legal services.
- Demonstrated poise and professionalism when interacting with peers, attorneys, operations staff, clients, and outside business contacts.
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of all information, professional growth, development and adhering to the firm’s core values.
- Hours & Attendance:
- Generally, 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Hybrid Work Schedule, currently 3 days a week in the New York Office (subject to firm policy)
- Occasional overtime may be required
- Role is based in the New York Office
Date Active: 6.16.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt