Palo Alto, Los Angeles, San Diego Washington, DC or New York, NY
An Am Law 50 law firm with 17 offices worldwide, has an opening for a Patent Billing Specialist within their Patent Support Department in their Palo Alto, Los Angeles, San Diego Washington, DC or New York, NY office.
- The Patent Billing Specialist assists assigned attorneys with the management of client accounting as it relates specifically to the patent practice. This individual demonstrates client service excellence and develops strong collaborative relationships with attorneys and staff. The Specialist works closely with them to identify and resolve potential obstacles before they become issues downstream.
- Work closely with the Client Accounting team and assigned partners to facilitate account management of clients; establish and maintain credibility with stakeholders, produce accurate work product, take full ownership for results.
- Collaborate closely with Patent attorneys and staff to maintain compliance with client requirements; assist with managing and tracking the portfolio of patent matters to ensure accurate and complete data mapping for e-billed clients.
- Participate in the onboarding of new clients with regard to their requirements for managing their patent portfolio and related billing. Communicate these requirements to the Client Accounting team.
- Assist billing partners with analyzing and resolving discrepancies, including any underlying issues and queries related to billing from foreign associates or vendors; enter edits and ensure that hourly fees, flat fees, task codes, vendor invoices and any other missing time, are correctly and promptly accounted for to minimize billing and collection issues downstream.
- Identify the needs of the patent billing attorneys with regard to managing the billing and collections aspect of patent matters, recognize patterns, and anticipate and avoid pitfalls. Create uniformity and consistency with regard to billing protocols and advocate for best practices across the patent team.
- Review Work in Process (“WIP”) for selected patent portfolios for accuracy by applying knowledge of patent docketing and filing procedures.
- Assist with the management of vendor invoices and ensure that they are submitted timely in Chrome River. Field questions from vendors regarding their invoices and coordinate with Accounts Payable to resolve issues.
- For assigned patent billing attorneys, lead the process of pro forma review and revision up to point of client invoice creation.
- Collaborate with the Client Accounting team on the distribution of monthly proformas to billing partners and/or assigned reviewers; act as the primary aggregator of proformas in the patent department and ensure they are returned and tracked by designated groupings (related clients / patent families / etc).
- Prior experience with Chrome River, Elite Financial System (Enterprise or 3E) and a patent docketing system preferred.
- Three to five years of patent experience preferred.
- Experience working in a large law firm preferred.
Salary: $75,000.00-$100,000.00, dependent on experience and location
Date Active: 5.17.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt