REMOTE TO START / Chicago, IL; New York, NY; Charlotte, NC; Washington, DC
Under the general direction of supervising attorney(s) and according to established Firm policies and procedures, is responsible for providing paralegal support and assistance to supervising attorneys and paralegals in all aspects of the structured finance transactions. Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Client billable hour requirement: 1,700 hours annually (142 client billable hours average per month).
- Coordination and preparation of closing documents for securities transactions.
- Initial drafting, proofreading and distribution of securities documents.
- Coordination with multiple transaction parties to obtain required legal information.
- Perform file organization and maintenance.
- Maintain up-to-date time reports to ensure accurate client billing.
- Assist attorneys with research, billing, and special projects.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, however, may supervise work performed by Project Assistants and/or Paralegal staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree and five or more years related experience preferably in a law firm environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Legal research knowledge and ability to use law library are required. Paralegal certificate from an ABA accredited paralegal program a plus.
- Computer proficient with experience and working knowledge of Westlaw and other structured finance-related databases, Internet research, due diligence, Excel, Outlook, and MS Word preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish information in report format, written correspondence, e‑mail, or verbally.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts.
- Analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail and accuracy in order to analyze and research structured finance transactional data, process information, and perform essential duties.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to act independently and make decisions within scope of the position’s responsibilities.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment, adapt to changes in workflow, and ensure work is completed within defined deadlines. Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills.
- Possess excellent knowledge of reading, writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, proofreading, and formatting in order to interpret source data, prepare corporate securities documents and forms, proofread material for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors, and perform file maintenance.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, and verifying numerical data on forms and documents.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including computer, laser printer, telephone, photocopier, calculator, scanner, facsimile, etc.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation and copies, or office supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Work occasionally requires more than 37.5 hours per week (35 hours per week in the New York office) to perform the essential duties of the position.
- The work environment is characteristic of a normal office environment with moderate exposure to excessive noise, dust, temperature, etc.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities, and requirements. This position description may be modified in the future as necessary.
Salary: Open, dependent on experience
Date Active: April 16, 2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt