Senior Manager of Diversity Equity and Inclusion
Partner with the Global Director of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (“Global Director’) and Chair of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee of Washington to provide strategic, professional and managerial support for Firm diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, including but not limited to helping to formulate strategies as well as offering mentorship, support and expertise to women, historically racially/ethnically underrepresented and LGBTQ+ employees in the Washington office, and – as appropriate; review diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) programming and determine industry best practices for achieving diversity and gender parity; data management and analysis; and client and community interface, programming; and administrative support. This role will support both the legal and professional staff populations in the Washington office with a focus on advancing the Washington office DE&I strategy while also supporting the firm’s overall DE&I goals.
- Work closely with the Global Director to help develop a strategic DE&I plan for the Washington office and in alignment with overall Firm goals.
- Be responsible for the implementation of Washington DE&I programs and key initiatives, in partnership with the Global Director.
- As a member of the Global DE&I team, assist with the implementation of global DE&I programs and key initiatives.
- Partner with the Chair of DE&I, the Global Director and other Professional Staff leadership to develop and implement strategy and initiatives specifically geared to increase equitable development, retention and promotion of women, historically racially/ethnically underrepresented and LGBTQ+ employees in the Washington office, with a focus on associates, and propose strategies accordingly.
- Partner with the Global Director and other Professional Staff leadership to help recruit, retain and engage diverse Professional Staff for the Washington office, in alignment with the firm’s goals.
- Build trusted relationships with women, historically racially/ethnically underrepresented and LGBTQ+ employees and act as “coach” to assist them in their development by providing career support and actionable feedback. Ensure diverse employees are receiving clear and actionable feedback throughout the employee lifecycle and act as a guide to partners, senior lawyers and professional staff on how to provide actionable feedback.
- Provide expertise and support to existing mentoring programs to ensure the success of multiple programs aimed to increase mentoring opportunities for female and diverse personnel at the Firm. Serve as a liaison and source of advisory support to the Washington Office, Diverse Associates Group and Women’s Working Group.
- Advise practice groups and partner with professional staff management on the development and evaluation of all diverse employees with a focus on identifying deviations in the associate experience for lawyers of color, LGBTQ+ lawyers and women lawyers.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DE&I curricula and programming, including recruiting-related programming, committee curricula, engaging outside consultants, and affinity group events.
- Build and leverage relationships with Learning & Development (L&D), Attorney Development Managers (ADMs), Human Resources, Recruiting, and other Professional Staff groups, in order to further the diversity and inclusion strategies and efforts.
- Capably draft communications, for varying audiences, related to DE&I topics, events, programs and issues, and as appropriate, help to formulate crisis response planning and ensuing communications.
- Represent the team and Firm by serving as a direct resource to internal and external clients on DE&I matters, including creating and implementing training for Attorney Development/Practice Development teams; playing an integral role in the staffing and development of diverse associates by serving as a member of and actively participating on the Associates Committee; serve as an active participant on the Recruiting Committee by proposing ideas and initiatives targeted to increase the recruiting of underrepresented associates.
- Represent Firm at community stakeholder events and expand outreach efforts to increase partnerships, visibility, and success of DE&I initiatives. Leverage alumni, client and community contacts in support of DE&I strategy. Provide information to requested parties to support completion of the quarterly and annual client diversity questionnaires.
- Store and access internal and external data required to conduct frequent statistical analysis on Firm diversity metrics. Research and assess best practice materials, articles, and benchmarking tools generated and relied upon by Firm committees and Director of DE&I. Monitor current diversity trends, articles, reports, and benchmarks used in the legal industry, financial sector, and comparable professions.
- Executive presence, polished communication skills and confidence in sharing viewpoints and making recommendations to all levels of firm leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree required; juris doctor or graduate degree in related fields preferred with a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in a professional services organization; with a significant level of responsibility and expertise in gender equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Experience practicing law or performing DE&I work in an AmLaw 100 firm or a comparable professional services organization is strongly preferred.
- Cross-cultural skills and awareness related to individuals from broad backgrounds, races, ethnicities, religions, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability, among others demonstrating proven success with mentoring programs and resources focused on women, historically racially/ethnically underrepresented and/or LGBTQ+ employees.
- Take a team oriented approach with a collaborative disposition across various Firm departments, committees and external organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to be empathetic, listen actively and communicate effectively with broad audiences and with individuals at all levels in the organization with a high degree of confidentiality, maturity, judgment and cultural sensibility.
- Ability to critically assess DE&I status in office, propose innovative solutions and interventions, and gain buy-in to solutions while approaching data with a critical mindset; demonstrating detail-orientation and multi-tasking capabilities with the ability to function comfortably under minimal supervision and highly demanding deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience in using databases, Microsoft Office products, including Excel, Power Point, and Word.
Salary: Competitive based on experience
Date Active: 5.17.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt