New York, NY
The Manager, Media Relations (“Manager”) is responsible for managing the Americas external communications team and working with media organizations to increase visibility for the firm, its business units and practice areas by building awareness of key partners, firm capabilities, accomplishments and wins across the Americas.
Working with the Global Head of Communications, the Manager will oversee the day-to-day responsibilities associated with running ongoing media relations activities and initiatives including timely response to incoming media inquiries.
The Manager is responsible for overseeing communications campaigns in the Americas and coordinating activities with colleagues across the firm. The Manager will be responsible for proactively promoting and raising the profile of the firm through targeted media relations outreach programs in national business and financial, as well as industry, trade, and legal media.
The Manager will work closely with marketing and business development colleagues, law partners and associates to identify trends and business issues and drive content development and promotion across the firm’s various external communications channels.
Proven line management, media relations, and substantive project management and writing skills are critical to success in this role.
- Establish goals and KPIs for direct reports.
- Co-create development plans that allow direct reports to learn, grow and maximize their impact.
- Provide valuable feedback on performance.
- Help build a high performing team culture.
- Foster an interdepartmental collaborative spirit.
- Advance a customer centric approach to service and impact.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key journalists at target national, business, financial, as well as industry, trade and legal media in the U.S. and across the Americas to raise the external profile of the firm, partners, accomplishments and wins, and build thought leadership on industry and business trends.
- Respond to media inquiries in a timely manner.
- Work with stakeholders across the firm to draft and disseminate news releases relating to lateral partner hires, deals, victories, accolades, pro bono successes and other firm news and initiatives.
- Create and implement plans to maximize media opportunities for commentary, working closely with partners, associates and business development in key practice and industry groups.
- Coordinate and obtain media coverage in appropriate media outlets, based on strategic plans and proactive opportunities, that raise visibility of the firm, practice groups and partners.
- Position and introduce partners to key media as thought leaders in their areas of expertise.
- Develop pre-briefing documents and prepare partners for media interviews; actively participate in meetings with key reporters; provide partners with substantive feedback following media interviews.
- Help Global Head of Communications to advise on difficult media issues, as well as best practices and prepare statements in line with key messages for reactive media situations.
- Work closely with marketing and business development teams to identify areas of cross collaboration on industry trends, information on newsworthy matters and important client work that can be promoted.
- Identify opportunities for bylined articles in legal and trade media, provide editorial guidance and background.
- Advise media spokespeople on best practice for media relations and coordinate in-house training when required.
- Provide guidance to marketing, social media and business development teams, partners, associates and business services colleagues on communications style and content.
- Position self as trusted advisor to partners and senior stakeholders on external communications.
- Build relationships with marketing colleagues, partners, and other fee earners.
- Distribute media coverage to partners, associates, marketing and business development colleagues, where appropriate.
- Maintain media contact lists. Have skills to manage and use media monitoring and contact platforms.
- Coordinate global monthly media report with colleagues in Asia and EMEA.
Wider Communications Services
- Assist in writing and editing communications as required (e.g., articles, reports, white papers, surveys).
- Ensure issues and topics are being fully utilized across all firm communications channels (e.g., insight production, website, social media, press and internal channels) by producing, agreeing, and implementing communications plan.
- Ensure website content is up to date (e.g., news releases are published on the website, lead content is featured on homepage).
- Work with social media team to ensure media opportunities are being fully realized across communication channels.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Established relationships and ability to build relationships with legal industry, as well as national and trade media reporters and editors throughout the U.S. and key regions in Latin America.
- Positive, strategic, enthusiastic and passionate about media relations.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and able to influence others to support objectives.
- Confident, proactive and self-motivated personality is a must, with the ability to build relationships quickly.
- Strong advising and influencing skills; highly comfortable working with partners, associates and outside resources.
- Strong sense of teamwork and ability to hold team members accountable.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple projects and responsibilities and consistently deliver high quality results in a timely manner.
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to excellence.
- Strong knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
Education & Experience
- 4-year college degree or equivalent.
- 6 to 8 years relevant experience in managing media relations at a law firm (in-house or agency considered).
- Line management experience required.
- Experience of developing strong working relationships with a diverse stakeholder base.
- Proven ability to manage multiple deliverables within a tight timeframe and deliver high-quality work.
- A comprehensive understanding of marketing and business development strategy and implementation.
Salary: $100,000.00-$150,000.00, dependent on experience
Date Active: 9.5.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt