New York, NY
The Communications Manager for Awards and Directories will oversee all aspects of award nominations, legal guides and directories and other profile-raising opportunities for the Firm and its lawyers. The Manager will also oversee the Communications Analyst who has primary oversight of all organizational tasks related to this function, including the keeping of all calendars and tracking tools. The Manager will focus on writing the awards nominations for all business and trade publications in alignment with the strategic business goals and profile of the Firm and its lawyers. In addition, the Manager will be responsible for marketplace knowledge of assessing what outlets and offerings are commensurate with the Firm brand and also analyzing the Firm’s results against the marketplace. This is a highly collaborative position in which the Manager will work across all practice areas and be responsible for conceptualizing and drafting nominations and working with Business Development colleagues, Directors of other functions including Pro Bono, Diversity and CSR, as well as Partners and other stakeholders to gather information and achieve sign off.
Primary Responsibilities and/or Essential Functions
- Assess key awards and profile-raising opportunities for the Firm, its lawyers and practice areas.
- Manage the entire submissions process for both awards and legal guides and directories, including the oversight of the Communications Coordinator who assists in the organization and administration of this function.
- Write award nominations for any business and trade publications for individual lawyer, firm and practice area recognition.
- Evaluate, judge and track all awards submitted to determine value to better align efforts with overall strategy.
- Proactively analyze results and work with the Business Development team and other constituents to find ways to enhance nominations going forward
- Monitor competitor activity and industry or market trends to keep Firm ahead of the curve as regards award nominations and other profile/brand-raising
- Lead production of daily internal newsletter that summarizes key news, awards and other recognition of Firm, practice and attorney developments; this will be done in close collaboration with the Communications Coordinator and other colleagues.
- Oversight of additional Firm-wide marketing/business development initiatives, as needed, including drafting of high-level Firmwide announcements about awards and oversight of any additional messaging on the Firm website, social media and other outlets.
- Collaborate any Firm-wide and regional marketing initiatives, as relates to profile-raising, and work directly with all levels of staff on implementation.
- Any responsibilities as required by management.
Knowledge, Skills & Ability
- 5+ years of communications or marketing experience, with an emphasis on clear journalistic style writing required.
- Must be able to effectively oversee, manage and develop the Communications Coordinator who supports this function.
- Must have strong point-of-view and perspective and ability to assess the relative worth/merit of myriad opportunities that Firm receives – and an ability to quickly devise best approach to successful execution on these matters
- Must have strong Knowledge of Business and Legal vocabulary and intimate understanding of large global law firm business, the competitive set and the best ways of positioning different geographies and practices.
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills to interface with all levels at the Firm. Articulate with strong influencing and persuasion skills and superior ability to collaborate cross functionally.
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, delegation and management skills.
- Knowledge of strategic communications with a strong understanding of effective external communications and stakeholder management as a key business driver.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Aptitude for understanding new technologies quickly.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe and other publishing software.
- Ability to understand and develop relationships with key members of the legal trade media outlets, as it relates to award nominations.
- Superior team player; positive attitude; high energy, drive, determination and collaborative nature.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and work experience required.
Salary: Highly competitive above market compensation
Date Active: 9.22.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt