New York, NY
If you enjoy working with team members whose defining characteristics are achievement, initiative, professionalism, responsiveness and adaptability, you may be the person our client is seeking to join their Paralegal department in New York as a Litigation Paralegal.
- Digests/summarizes depositions and other transcripts, including those of technical nature or expert witnesses
- Analyzes/summarizes documents, interrogatories, medical records and other factual information, including sophisticated or technical information related to legal issues
- Drafts declarations and affidavits
- Reviews files to recommend documents for the purpose of preparing timeline and witnesses to interview/depose
- Reviews pleadings and briefs for accuracy of factual information; fact checks briefs
- Cite-checks, Shepardizes, Bluebooks and proofreads pleadings and briefs
- Prepares TOA and TOC. Knowledge of and experience in Best Authority and Litera
- Performs statistical, factual and some legal research and compiles data into chart formats or analyses; performs computer investigations of individuals and businesses
- Pretrial activities: organizes and supervises preparation of trial notebook; organizes trial exhibits; prepares charts/graphs to be used at trial
- Trial activities: attends and assists at trial, which includes: monitoring documents and evidence; assuring presence of witnesses; preparing and monitoring visual aids; taking notes on testimony; tracking of exhibits introduced and marked into evidence; digesting trial transcripts
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Has responsibility for document organization and production, including Bates-stamping, redacting, photocopying and indexing of documents, checking copies, setting up and maintaining files which are organized chronologically, numerically and/or by subject matter, stripping files at the close of a case; acting as a liaison with the Records Dept. in instances in which sections of a case’s files or the entire file are maintained by the Records Dept.
- Reviews and analyzes documents for production, under the direct guidance of an attorney; categorizes documents by subject matter; prepares a chronology of facts; creates charts; does calculations and statistical analyses; reviews transcripts for specific references
- Conduct factual research: culls relevant information from a variety of resources, such as newspapers, periodicals, library sources, case documents, trade associations, etc.
- Prepares for depositions, gathers documents relevant to the deponent, organizes exhibits; when attending a deposition, takes notes, photocopies documents, handles exhibit distribution and submission, ensures availability of necessary supplies
- Digests transcripts to summarize highlights of a proceeding
- Prepares for and attends trial: organizes exhibits, files and other supporting documents; makes arrangements for transporting and setting up files at court; at trial, takes notes, handles exhibits, gathers any documents referred by either counsel, denotes which exhibits are marked and offered or just identified; interacts with witnesses, court clerks, client, vendors, etc.
- Assists with the preparation of motions: pulls relevant documents, proofreads, assembles exhibits and indexes documents for a table of contents
- Assists with appeals: pulls documents for a Record on Appeal and/or Joint Appendix; indexes cases for a table of authorities; as a liaison with the appellate printer; when necessary
- Prepares binders per witness, which can contain interview memos, digests, and relevant documents
- Prepares subject matter binders
- Retrieves documents as requested by attorneys; knowledge of PACER
- Conducts various document searches and factual research, including searches on computerized systems when applicable
- Acts as liaison with various internal departments, as well as with other outside agencies (e.g., oversees the progress of documents through secretarial and duplicating depts., orders transcripts from court reporting services, fulfills requests from outside counsel, clients, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Paralegal certificate preferred
- Notary Certification preferred
- 6-10 years
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Knowledge of, Concordance, Livenote, Relativity, Case Map, Kroll, Best Authority, Clearwell, Pacer, Lexis and Westlaw
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, able to communicate effectively and in a professional manner with all levels of the Firm and outside vendors
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment and effectively support the demanding needs of the Firm
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines with shifting priorities
- Must be a self-starter with a high level of initiative
- Strong customer service skills and able to anticipate needs
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion
- Exercises solid strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- May require occasional lifting of up to 25 lbs.
- May require travel to other offices as needed
Salary: $100,000.00-$150,000.00, dependent on experience
Date Active: 9.6.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt