New York, NY & Roseland, NJ
What You Will Do
The Litigation Paralegal will assist Litigation attorneys in all phases of the litigation process, from the discovery period through trial and post-trial findings and appeals. The Paralegal will assist counsel with case management including data preservation, document production, case file creation, organization and maintenance, calendaring and filings. The ideal candidate will have substantive experience as a litigation paralegal, with demonstrated experience and interest in e-discovery technology and solutions.
Essential Job Requirements
- Adherence to all administrative deadlines, including weekly updates on LS Teams workload and status of availability, time entry deadlines in Aderant and time sheet deadlines in UltiPro, as set by the firm or manager;
- Timely completion of all goals as discussed with manager and drafted in the Performance Management evaluation process;
- Regularly check e-mail when away from the office for assignment notifications from manager and case related communications from attorneys;
- Meet all billable requirements set by the Department (as applicable);
- Organize and maintain electronic and hard copy files for assigned cases.
- Maintain a docket for each pending matter before a court, arbitration panel or governmental agency, as requested by attorneys;
- Handle court filings and all issues arising from service of process to ensure that they are completed timely and in compliance with court rules and procedures;
- Review all incoming documents, court papers, etc., docket the appropriate due dates and notify the attorneys of the developments in their case;
- Maintain a diary, calendar and/or tickler system to keep the attorneys informed of the status of each matter, and notify and remind the responsible attorneys about upcoming events and deadlines;
- Assist with the preparation of court filings, including cite and fact checking legal briefs, cross-reference checks, confirming proper Bluebook citation, proofreading, and assembling of exhibits and appendices;
- Perform research using various research tools, Westlaw LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other systems
- Draft discovery documents and pleadings for attorney review;
- Responsible for all phases of trial and arbitration preparation, including tracking exhibits, assisting with technology and working with court reporters, courtroom personnel, hotel contacts, vendors, clients, and witnesses;
- Coordinate and prepare documents for production including preparing chronologies of facts, creating document productions logs, privilege logs and redaction logs.
Practice Support-Related Requirements
- Work closely with Practice Support and team attorneys manage case documents, including collection, organization, review and production of documents;
- Responsible for account management, data organization uploads and downloads using ShareFile, IPRO, and other ESI systems;
- Manage logging of incoming and outgoing data sets and organization of data rooms (downloads and indexes);
- Create, maintain and update document databases, using the latest available and most efficient technology and remaining proficient in the use of such databases and technology;
- Other tasks as may be assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Minimum of four years of experience working as a paralegal with a law firm;
- Significant federal civil litigation experience, including knowledge of Federal and New York Commercial Division rules, as well as New York and New Jersey local court rules, procedures, and practices;
- Experience with calendaring or docketing systems, such as BEC Legal;
- Knowledge of Electronic Court Filing (ECF) rules and practices;
- Demonstrated experience working with e-discovery and advanced understanding of discovery and trial applications, such as Relativity, Concordance, Case Notebook, Sharefile, Adobe Professional, Excel, TrialDirector, etc., and knowledge of how to use them to effectively support litigation;
- Technical understanding of computer and server hardware;
- Ability to interact with all levels of Firm Personnel;
- Strong organization skills;
- Excellent client service skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
Salary: Highly competitive above market merit based compensation
Date Active: 8.19.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt