New York, NY
The work of the legal secretaries at the Firm is critical to the overall operation of the Firm and the ability of each and every lawyer to serve the Firm’s clients effectively. At the Firm, legal secretaries are considered professionals and important members of the team. An effective team is based on mutual respect, cooperation and commitment to a common goal.
When a secretary is hired by the Firm, she or he is hired by the Firm and not by a particular lawyer. Thus, secretaries are expected to play an active role in assisting their assigned lawyers – and, when necessary, assisting other lawyers and other secretaries – toward the common goal of providing the Firm’s clients with the best service possible.
To be an effective member of the team, secretaries should familiarize themselves with Firm procedures, from the way files are organized in the Records Department to the billing procedures of the Accounting Department. To be an integral part of a practice group, secretaries should also work with their assigned lawyers in establishing and maintaining the particular procedures of the practice group and the lawyer’s individual requirements and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite (particularly, Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Knowledge of Document Management Systems (i.e., DeskSite)
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Good judgment and strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong time management skills
- Requires strong computer and Internet research skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work proficiently and effectively completes same in a timely manner
- Ability to work independently and anticipate needs of assignments
- Maintains composure while meeting multiple deadlines (even with frequent interruptions)
- Assist and support lawyers in dedicated assignments as well as associates assigned to Practice Support Team(s)
- Conserves assignments’ time by reading, researching & routing email correspondence
- On behalf of assignments, liaise with various support departments of the Firm
- Maintains assignments’ calendars, plans and schedules meetings, conferences, teleconferences, video conferences and travel; apprises assignment of schedule in advance of commitments
- Analyzes, allocates, processes and monitors complex expense reports
- Maintains and updates assignments’ client/matter lists, Outlook contacts and Marketing mailing lists
- Responsible for assignments’ annual mailings
- Researches and routes correspondence
- Produces information by formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying and transmitting documents
- Proofreads and reviews all work produced
- Receives, screens and transfers telephone calls; relays telephone messages according to method preferred by assignments (e.g., written messages, email, or voicemail)
- Responsible for submitting requests for conflicts reports; prepares and monitors creation of new business forms
- Coordinates client billing with billing specialist
- Enters, proofreads and finalizes assignments’ time entries on a daily basis;
- Maintains assigned lawyers’ files pursuant to the Firm’s Policy on Records Management
- Support visiting lawyers/clients when required
- Ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff as well as outside clients and vendors
- Works harmoniously and effectively with others as part of a team
- A self-starter who desires to show ownership and commitment to the job; accepts responsibility for actions
- Exercises confidentiality and discretion
- Volunteers to assist others and seeks out work during slow periods in workload
- Continues to develop skills and abilities
- Maintains a safe and unobstructed work area, including a neat and well-organized desk; demonstrates safe work practices
- Other duties, as assigned
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Demonstrated proficiency in the Microsoft suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Demonstrated proficiency in basic knowledge of legal terminology, formatting of legal documents and practice group’s systems and procedures (e.g., court procedures, closings).
- B.A. or B.S. degree from an accredited college or university.
- Previous experience in a professional services firm (not necessarily all in a law firm).
- Types accurately at 60-70 wpm.
- Proficiency in advanced functions of Microsoft suite (e.g., Adobe).
- Excellent command of Blackline packages such as DeltaView.
Salary: Up to $90K plus, dependent on experience
Date Active: 6.6.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt