New York, NY
Reports to: Office Administrator
4 years of Legal secretarial experience, experience supporting C-level executives, excellent multitasking skills, incredible attention to detail
What You Will Do
The administrative and clerical services offered by the Legal Secretary include everything from troubleshooting, creating and editing complex documents, spreadsheets and presentations, submitting specialized conflicts, entering attorney time, creating zip files, converting documents from Word to PDF and proofreading, to transcribing tapes into letters, reports, marketing presentations and supporting handouts. Careful attention must be paid to practice specific procedures as work product must be accurate, look professional and conform to Firm standards. This position requires extensive knowledge and experience with graphics, desktop publishing, database, file management and advanced word processing software packages.
Essential Job Requirements
- Create, revise and format complex legal documents, spreadsheets and presentations, adhering to Firm policy and guidelines.
- Troubleshoot documents. Answer questions and provide technical help when required.
- Proofread work for accuracy prior to routing or returning to attorneys/employees.
- Provide secretarial support to attorneys as requested, including answering phones, time entry, scanning, PDF’ing documents, copying, faxing and other clerical duties as required.
- Transcribe tapes into letters, reports, marketing presentations and supporting handouts.
- Submit specialized conflicts.
- Schedule appointments, conferences, depositions, etc.
- Prepare travel arrangements; preparing expense reimbursement forms
- Attend all mandatory training classes and remain current on available technology, utilizing it to the fullest.
- Uphold a professional demeanor at all times. Demonstrate an attitude of cooperation with legal staff, peers and administrators.
- Accept change and work to incorporate change into daily work environment.
- Maintain calendars of all assigned attorneys and schedule meetings for attorneys within parameters of attorneys’ requirements.
- Remind attorneys of deadlines for filings, Federal Express packages, etc.
- Maintain contact lists for client matters.
- Organize and maintain electronic and paper client files and keep filing up-to-date; retrieve existing files through RIO and close out and send files off-site.
- Assist with monthly billing including meeting Finance Department deadlines, photocopying and final preparation for mailing.
- Provide coverage to other attorneys in section when assigned secretaries are out of office or when workflow requires/permits.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Minimum of 4 years work experience as a Legal Secretary or in a WP department in a law firm.
- Ability to function effectively in stressful situations; exhibit professional maturity.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to problem solve and arrange workload in order of importance to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively within a team and independently, as workflow dictates.
- Advanced Microsoft Word 2010 skills including Styles, Softwise Macro and Number Suite, TOA and TOC.
- Advanced Excel and Powerpoint; using Powerpoint to create webinar presentations desirable.
- Proficiency with .pdf Docs, FileSite/Interwoven Document Management Systems, Microsoft Outlook and CMS Time Entry.
- Ability to learn and effectively apply new software as required.
- Ability to maintain reliable attendance record and punctuality.
- Typing skills of 55+ wpm; excellent spelling, grammar and proofreading skills.
- Ability to meet Firm client service standards by maintaining a positive and professional attitude as well as communicate effectively with all levels of the organization as well as external clients, vendors and the general public.
- Exhibit a desire to team with support staff, peers, attorneys and administrators by demonstrating willingness to undertake additional responsibilities, teach and assist others when requested.
Salary: Highly competitive
Date Active: 5.6.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt