100% Remote Work from Home
Sunday-Thursday from 11:30PM-7AM CST or 1230AM-8AM EST
This position is responsible for reviewing the spelling, grammar, content, formatting, citations, and style of complex legal documentation to ensure accuracy and compliance with industry standard guidelines and practice group standards. Additionally, this position proofs and edits internal documentation, web content, and marketing and business development materials for accuracy and in accordance with firm brand/style guidelines.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Proof legal documents, web content, marketing and business development materials, internal communications and documents, and training materials for grammatical, spelling, typographical, mathematical, and style/formatting errors.
- Proof external and internal web content, as well as internal documentation, to ensure compliance and consistency with firm style guides.
- Check case citation format, Defined Terms, cross references, Tables of Authorities, and Tables of Contents in complex legal documents to ensure information is accurate and in compliance with industry standard guidelines.
- Check cited materials and quotations in referenced hyperlinks, and check URL accuracy; check hyperlink functionality.
- Utilize practice group standards to review legal documents.
- Ensure formatting and tone of voice are consistent across related texts.
- Use the Track Changes function in Word to edit text and make notes within documents.
- Compare hand-written markup to electronic document drafts to confirm addition of all requested changes.
- Compare Word documents and PDFs to confirm a word-for-word match. Markup PDFs using Comment tools in Adobe Acrobat.
- Closely monitor the department job request log to meet posted deadlines.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide miscellaneous administrative assistance as required.
- Utilize online resources and Firm technology to maximize efficiency on tasks.
- Firm will require COVID vaccination for all employees who will have any in-office presence with proof of vaccination being required. Individuals with medical or religious reasons for remaining unvaccinated may request an accommodation.
- Job is performed in a remote office environment, but is subject to time pressures and constraints, and is often dependent on input from others.
- Occasional overtime may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, or related field required.
- Two years of experience reviewing and advising on technical content, preferably in a legal environment.
- Excellent grammar and punctuation skills. Candidate is responsible for the knowledge and practice of the guidelines in the following manuals:
- The Chicago Manual of Style
- Black’s Law Dictionary
- The Associated Press Style Book
- The Redbook: A Manual on Legal Style
- The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (Federal Courts)
- The Greenbook: Texas Rules of Form
- Microsoft 365 (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel), Adobe Acrobat Pro, Kofax Power PDF Advanced.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong attention to detail with an emphasis on accuracy and quality. Ability to be thorough, even when tasks are tedious. Ability to prioritize work and to balance multiple projects and deadlines.
- Must score 90% or higher on the firm’s legal spelling test. Ability to maintain confidentiality required.
Salary: $58,000.00-77,000.00, dependent on location and experience
Date Active: 7.20.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt