Legal Executive Assistant
New York, NY
Under the general direction of assigned attorney(s) or other legal personnel and according to established Firm policies and procedures, is responsible for providing specialized administrative support and secretarial assistance to assigned attorneys/legal personnel pertaining to all aspects of litigation. Assignment involves multi-tasking complex document production with heavy administrative functions, and client contact requiring a high degree of executive secretarial and technical skills. This position typically supports four or more attorneys or other legal personnel as a primary assignment and also provides back-up secretarial assistance to other attorneys/legal personnel as requested. Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.
- Generate, prepare, and organize documentation and forms requisite to the litigation practice area, such as briefs, subpoenas, motions, notices, orders, interrogatories, tables of authority, extensions of time, etc.
- Work with attorneys to oversee and coordinate filings with Docket through return of stamped copies from the court. Maintain knowledge of electronic court filing procedures. Ensure all pertinent dates are docketed. Index all pleadings.
- Work with attorneys to date stamp incoming mail, pleadings, deposition notices, etc. ensuring documentation with deadlines are docketed and calendared.
- Assist with trial preparation, depositions, and other litigation-related responsibilities.
- Create, edit, and compile large, complex, heavily formatted documents as well as prepare correspondence, memoranda, and other legal documents from draft or dictated text utilizing MS Word. Proofread all documents for accuracy and completeness. Compose correspondence when appropriate.
- Manage and maintain calendar (utilizing calendar software, if applicable) and assist in meeting deadlines. Schedule appointments and meetings, schedule court reporters for depositions, arrange for conference rooms, and communicate information to all respective parties.
- Answer the telephone, and screen and process incoming telephone calls. Record and transmit telephone messages. Set up conference and/or video calls. Provide information to callers when appropriate.
- Input attorney/legal personnel’s time utilizing the Firm’s time entry software on a daily basis.
- Receive, sort, and distribute incoming mail. Process outgoing mail to assure timely delivery. File mail in client/case files, as necessary.
- Update attorney/legal personnel’s contacts in InterAction, Outlook, or document contact lists.
- Greet clients and visitors in a manner that promotes the professional image and best interests of the Firm. Maintain excellent public relations with clients.
- Open new client matters and request conflict of interest checks. Generate new files and maintain client, chron, and general files assuring that filing is kept current. Prepare files to be closed utilizing proper records storage procedures. Conduct periodic review of inactive files for possible storage of files.
- Maintain up-to-date listing of client/matter names and numbers for each attorney/legal personnel.
- Working with the firm’s travel agent, make travel arrangements, prepare itineraries, and compile documents for travel-related meetings.
- Maintain knowledge of Firm operating procedures, departments, and support areas.
- On a monthly basis, if applicable, prepare expense reports for each attorney/legal personnel. Submit to accounting for processing.
- Prepare and keep current desk instructions with respect to each assigned attorney/legal personnel.
- If applicable, prepare and process client billing utilizing Firm billing software. Review/edit/prepare and proofread prebills and invoices; assure client billing is sent out accurately and timely.
- High school diploma or equivalent and five or more years progressive legal secretarial experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior experience in the Litigation practice area of law with applicable knowledge of court filings desired.
- Computer proficient with experience and working knowledge of MS Word required. Ability to work with complex, heavily formatted documents and produce documents from transcription. Working knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, iManage Records Manager, and Adobe Reader preferred. Data entry skills with 85% accuracy preferred. Keyboarding skills of 60 wpm.
- Excellent organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish information in report format, written correspondence, e-mail, or verbally.
- Analytical and technical skills requiring an aptitude for detail, precision, and logic in order to perform essential administrative/clerical functions and utilize Firm software.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative in managing multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment utilizing excellent judgment, administrative abilities, and decision-making skills. Ability to work with frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workflow.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to act independently and make decisions within scope of the position’s responsibilities.
- Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills in order to oversee and complete assignments/tasks from inception to completion.
- Possess excellent knowledge of reading, writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, proofreading, and formatting in order to organize and interpret source data, perform administrative functions, prepare relevant documentation, proofread material for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors, and perform file maintenance.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, including computer, telephone, laser printer, transcription equipment, photocopier, scanner, facsimile, calculator, etc.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, verifying numerical data on forms and documents, and preparing expense reports and/or billing.
- Work occasionally requires more than 35 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
Salary: Competitive based on experience
Date Active: 10.13.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt