New York, NY
A premier, international, law firm with over 1,600 attorneys and 20 offices in major financial centers worldwide, seeks an Human Resources Specialist for its New York office. The primary role of the HR Specialist will provide day-to-day support to the Firm’s New York Partners-in-Charge, attorneys and staff, as well as to others throughout the firm. The Specialist will report directly to the HR Manager, working closely with other HR/Benefits/Payroll team members and will liaise and interact directly with the New York Partners-in-Charge, NY Director of Administration, firm management, and a broad cross-section of the firm’s partners, department Chiefs and Directors and their staff. The Specialist will be responsible for coordinating and facilitating proper U.S. work authorization for incoming lateral Legal hires, as well as incoming First Year Associates, by partnering with the firm’s immigration counsel as well as the Office of the General Counsel, as needed.
- Executing the firm’s U.S. immigration strategy by supporting partners, employees and candidates in conjunction with immigration counsel on day-to-day immigration needs.
- Completing initial intake of complex immigration matters; assist with administrative duties, such as maintaining Public Access Files, monitoring visa expiration dates, drafting travel letters, etc.
- Managing and coordinating immigration processes for business visitor visas, employment visas, permanent residency applications, and citizenship applications.
- Liaising with the recruiting team and external immigration counsel to review candidate work authorization and answer candidate immigration questions.
- Assisting with administrative duties, such as drafting assignment letters and processing transfers in the firm’s internal systems.
- Assisting with cases associated with non-immigrant and immigrant visa filings, including H-1B, TN, E-3, L-1, O-1, J-1, PERM, EB-1, EB-2, and EB-3 cases, as well as global visas.
- Monitoring immigration and mobility compliance updates and risk factors.
- Liaising with Legal Recruiting and Directors of Administration both domestically and international as needed, to support immigration and facilitate global movement.
- Supporting Recruiting in their recruiting efforts of international students and international lateral attorney hires.
- Building relationships as the trusted partner and primary point of contact on all aspects of the U.S. employment visa process.
- Responsible for cultivating strategic internal customer relationships across all attorney and staff levels, working directly with attorneys and staff in the New York office as well as with individuals in other offices and departments across the firm.
- Serving as an in-office HR resource to the New York office, responding to questions and inquiries related to firm policies, procedures and employment law.Ensures consistent application and compliance with firm policies, professional standards and with federal, state and local employment laws and regulations.
- Partnering with HR Manager, ChiefHuman Resources Officer, partners-in-charge, or other appropriate firm representative to ensure that complex employee relations issues are handled appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Working with local office management to ensure successful onboarding of both legal and non-legal staff, to ensure that all personnel records and information are accurate and up-to-date including compliance with USCIS Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification.
- Performing other duties, whether for the local office, or global, as assigned.
- Capable of maintaining confidence of personal and highly sensitive information.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Critical thinking and sound judgment with ability to analyze and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated high level of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated knowledge of general Human Resources practices and principles.
- Excellent customer service skills, with a high level of professionalism, and ability to interface with all levels of staff and management.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize multiple tasks and priorities, while meeting deadlines of fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or related field or equivalent relevant work experience, required.
- 3-5 years of prior experience with general Human Resources, and immigrant and non-immigrant visa filings including H-1B, TN, E-3, L-1, O-1, J-1, PERM, EB-1, EB-2, and EB-3 cases, as well as global visas.
- Experience in a law firm or professional services environment preferred.
Salary: $70,000.00-$85,000.00, dependent on experience
Date Active: 11.2.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt