New York, NY or Chicago, IL
The e-Billing Manager is responsible for all global e-Billing-related activities at the firm. The e-Billing Manager is responsible for the timely and successful handling of all e-Billing tasks through developing and implementing procedures ensuring compliance with client billing guidelines and their technical billing portals. This role directs the e-Billing team, focusing on training and development, while frequently assessing workload to ensure all e-Billing invoices are submitted in a timely manner. The e-Billing Manager maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters. The firm offers a hybrid work model, allowing the flexibility to work both on-site and remotely on a regular basis.
- Directly supervises and manages employees and is responsible for their overall direction, coordination, and evaluation. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Firm’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; and making recommendations for hiring, promotion, compensation, and termination.
- Direct the onboarding of new e-Billing clients within the firm’s e-Billing technology solution (e-Billing Hub). This includes establishing timekeepers, timekeeper rates, phase and task codes and diary description key words. Client guidelines will also require the e-Billing Manager to ensure that certain costs are invoiced to the client at proscribed cost rates.
- Direct the periodic maintenance of each e-Billing client’s guidelines within the firm’s e-Billing Hub solution. Including updating timekeepers, timekeeper rates, phase and task codes and diary description key words. Updating certain cost codes and rates.
- Develop and maintain documentation on e-billing procedures ensuring compliance with client requirements. Communicate guidelines to e-Billing team, billing and collections teams, finance management, attorneys, partners, and their LEA’s.
- Ensure timely attention to e-bill rejections minimizing write-offs and lost revenues.
- Develop procedures for the timely communication of client short payments providing visibility to partners and where appropriate request exceptions from clients.
- Develop e-billing team onboarding, including training on all software platforms, policies and procedures that will result in a highly skilled and effective e-billing team.
- Evaluate and mentor staff capabilities periodically to ensure e-billing staff remain abreast of new technologies and procedures.
- Prepare and regularly review e-billing team responsibilities and assignments to ensure the highest level of client service to attorneys, firm management and clients.
- Reviews and adjust e-billing team workload frequently to accommodate fluctuations in e-billing volume, eliminating barriers to success and limiting staff overtime when possible.
- Prepare reports for partners, finance management and firm leaders, including analytics for e-bill volume and success/failure rate of submission, as well as timing to resolve issues when they arise.
- Prepare reports as required by clients and third parties including but not limited to timekeeper listings, timekeeper rates, outstanding e-bills and summary reporting for client’s fiscal year.
- Continually analyzes industry-specific technology, procedures and policies to ensure best practices are deployed. Prepare recommendations for process improvements to Director of Revenue and firm management with the objective of the duration of time from work to bill to collect.
- Participate in finance systems upgrades, ensuring proper testing and implementation of systems integrations that affect the e-Billing Hub solution.
- Collaborate with billing and collection teams to ensure timely attention of all issues that impact the flow of e-bills processes from matter set up to payment of invoices.
- Develop, mentor and coach e-billing team and lead the team as a role model to champion firm initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting or Finance and ten or more years of progressive e-billing experience, in an Am Law 100 law firm, and five or more years of supervisory experience is required. An advanced degree or certificate in project management is preferred. Experience with Elite and or Aderant time and billing software, and e-Billing Hub, or similar industry standard is required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office with advanced proficiency with MS Excel spreadsheets, including features such as pivot tables, charts and graphs and formulas; must be proficient with MS Word and PowerPoint software.
- Analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail and accuracy to analyze complex client billing problems, reconcile billing-related issues, and multi-task with numerous reports simultaneously.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative in order to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment, and ensure work is completed within strict deadlines. Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to act independently and make decisions within scope of the position’s responsibilities.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including computer, laser printer, telephone, photocopier, calculator, facsimile, scanner, etc.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Required to work towards deadlines; must be able to work more than 37.5 hours per week in Chicago, 35 hours per week in New York.
Compensation & Benefits
$120,000 – $170,000, depending on location and experience. The firm offers an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental/vision, 401k with employer contribution, parental leave, transportation fringe benefit program, back-up care option, generous paid time off policy, and long-term and short-term disability policies.
Salary: $120,000 – $170,000
Date Active: 4.14.2023
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt