New York, NY
Under the general direction of the New York Docket Manager and/or Docket Supervisor and according to established Firm policies and procedures, is responsible for performing the required day-to-day duties of the New York Docket Department. Duties may require travel in the New York tri-state area (all travel expenses will be reimbursed by the Firm). Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform various in-court duties, including but not limited to, filing and retrieving court documents in State/Federal courts and other agencies, work in-person with clerks and court staff, case research and late court run; answer calendar calls as necessary.
- Perform Notarial services in and out of the office. Perform Notary Authentications, State Department Apostille/Certifications and the Consulate.
- Assist with service legal process.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the Docket Department’s database as it relates to day-to-day work production. Create and distribute various calendar and timekeeper reports using the Docketing system.
- Obtain data and information from State/Federal agencies and departments.
- Maintain daily activity records and time reports.
- Answer and process incoming telephone calls and/or respond to e-mail inquiries disseminating information relative to the courts and Docket Department procedures.
- Assist in coordinating and updating Docket Department forms.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent. College degree preferred. Minimum two years prior law clerk-related experience in a law firm environment preferred, docket-related skills a plus; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Familiarity with Electronic Case Filing (CM/ECF) procedures a plus.
- Must maintain or be eligible to obtain a New York State Notary Public commission. If not already commissioned, must successfully pass the written examination. Firm will assist Docket Assistant with preparations and will assume all associated fees.
- Computer proficient with familiarity of various software systems including Outlook, CourtAlert or CompuLaw, and MS Word preferred. Ability to learn and utilize specific internal or third-party Docket Department software. Knowledge of court rules and procedures preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts.
- Excellent follow-through skills with the ability to prioritize numerous tasks and handle multiple functions in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to act independently and make decisions within scope of the position’s responsibilities.
- Excellent organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish information in report format, written correspondence, e-mail, or verbally.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including computer, laser printer, telephone, photocopier, calculator, scanner, facsimile, etc.
- Ability to routinely travel to various courts and/or agencies and retrieve and/or distribute legal/written documentation, files, etc., or office files or supplies, weighing up to 50 lbs.
- The work environment is characteristic of a normal office environment with moderate exposure to excessive noise, dust, temperature, etc.
*The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities, and requirements. This position description may be modified in the future as necessary.
Salary: $50,000.00-$65,000.00, dependent on experience
Date Active: 10.17.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt