New York, NY
Reports to the Chief Financial Officer
Under minimal supervision and according to established policies and procedures, manages the Corporate, Litigation, Real Estate, Restructuring & Finance, and Trusts & Estates Paralegal Departments and Legal Clerks Department; exercises discretion and independent judgment; assists attorneys in developing general, transaction and presentation guidelines that meet general, transaction and presentation-specific corporate, litigation, and other support needs. Observes confidentiality of Firm matters.
Essential Duties and Paralegal Support
“Essential Duties” are primarily job functions that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodations made by Firm.
- Develops and maintains the Department’s procedures and best practices guidelines.
- Responsible for the recruitment and placement of Paralegals and Legal Clerks.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining an effective training program for new paralegals, with emphasis on both hard skills and soft skills.
- Oversees the development of new paralegals and provides additional training and ongoing mentorship as their skills advance.
- Fosters positive, collaborative and inclusive environment in which all team members can perform their best work.
- Applies knowledge of corporate and litigation matter management to anticipate attorneys’ needs, coordinate workflow and create teams.
- Oversees Litigation Paralegal Manager and Corporate Paralegal Coordinator in the assignment of paralegal support for specific matters; determines scheduling and support requirements.
- Interfaces with attorneys, paralegals and support staff providing workflow analysis in order to determine user needs.
- Maintains calendar of paralegal schedules and assignments to provide optimum and continuous support to lawyers at all times.
- Evaluates and reports on project or case status to improve teams’ effectiveness.
- Coordinates and conducts performance reviews and provides timely feedback as necessary.
- Maintains relationships with corporate service companies and other vendors in order to ensure that all client needs are met throughout lifespan of transactions.
- Maintains relationships with temporary staffing agencies in order to provide peak load assistance when needed.
- Provides support on special projects for clients, Firm and Paralegal Department.
- Builds institutional knowledge of Firm culture, standards, attorneys, support staff and clients.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail.
- Must have the interpersonal skills necessary to liaise between attorneys, clients, vendors and support staff and effectively communicate expectations.
- Must possess the tenacity to maintain a high level of mental effort for long periods of time.
- Work frequently requires more than 35 hours per week in order to perform the essential duties of the position. Ability and willingness to extend the workday and contribute on weekends is required.
- Ability to function effectively, both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to travel upon short notice to assist attorneys in attending to client needs on legal matters.
- Knowledge of corporate documents (name, purpose, format); types of corporate transactions (mergers, acquisitions, tender offers), IPOs, LBOs, securities offerings, etc.; transaction sequences and what is involved in each phase (pre-transaction research, negotiating sessions, Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) filings, closings and post-closing activities); SEC filing rules and EDGAR filings; and corporate data rooms.
- Knowledge of litigation documents (name, purpose, format); litigation sequences and what is involved in each phase (document collection, document organization, review and production, fact research, motion practice, deposition preparation and support, trial preparation and support, post-trial work); cite checking and Blue booking; and litigation databases, including Relativity.
- Ability to support, encourage and mentor the paralegals and enable them to function at a high level on both an individual and team basis.
- Ability to consistently evaluate and upgrade the Firm’s practice support service and
- Ability to assist attorneys and paralegals in developing litigation and transaction guidelines that meet general and matter-specific support needs, including analyzing costs, feasibility, deadlines and databases.
- Current knowledge of available corporate and litigation support systems, document management systems, file transfer platforms, mobile devices and basic information governance.
- Ability to develop and advance long-range objectives and projects and continuously improve systems and practices.
- Ability and willingness to take on new responsibilities as the need arises.
- Full C-19 Vaccination is required unless otherwise permitted by law.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Post-graduate degree a plus.
- Minimum 5 years’ law firm experience managing a Paralegal Department.
- Normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, temperature and the like.
*Firm provides competitive compensation and benefits to its employees ensuring that we attract and retain the most talented individuals. The expected base salary range for this role is $225,000$250,000. The base salary offer is based on a variety of factors which includes, but not limited to, qualifications, education and experience.
Salary: $225,000.00-$250,000.00, dependent on experience
Date Active: 1.13.2023
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt