Bay Area, CA; New York, NY; Santa Monica, CA; Seattle, WA; Washington, DC
Our DEI Director will be responsible for supporting the firm’s goals and initiatives and ensuring alignment between those firm priorities and day-to-day DEI operations and strategy. This individual will work closely and collaboratively with firm leadership, partners, associates, and business professionals across the firm. This position can be based in any of our office locations and will include periodic travel across the firm’s offices.
Talent Development: The DEI Director will be responsible for contributing to the recruitment and development of diverse and underrepresented talent at the Firm, working directly with our Recruiting, Practice Management, Legal Personnel and Human Resources teams:
- Partner with attorney and professional staff recruiting teams to develop and deploy a cutting-edge workforce strategy; identify and implement strategic opportunities and best practices to develop our diversity pipeline.
- Collaborate with the Legal Personnel and Practice Management teams to oversee the mentorship, development, and promotion of diverse and underrepresented attorneys, including providing feedback, training and coaching aligned with firm and practice-related goals and priorities.
- Work closely with the firm’s Diversity Action Committees and Employee Resource Groups to create an inclusive and connected environment that positively impacts diverse professionals in the firm through effective leadership, engagement, visibility, programming, and oversight.
- Effectively lead, engage and mentor the DEI team with open communication, active listening and focus on growth opportunities.
Strategic Planning and Execution: Develop, promote and implement initiatives and programs to further the firm’s DEI goals.
- Advise the DEI Steering Board and other firm and practice leadership regarding DEI priorities and challenges, and follow-through on related action items.
- Align firm and DEI initiatives and programs, incorporating the business decisions of firm and practice leadership.
- Further develop analytical tools and methods that enable firm leadership to measure and enhance the effectiveness of the firm’s DEI strategy.
- Assume responsibility for DEI training programs and related CLE requirements.
- Analyze resources and expenditures and prepare a detailed annual budget that reflects investment priorities, based on impact and measurable results.
Executive Presence and Client Focus: Effectively communicate the firm’s DEI strengths and accomplishments while also working closely with firm and practice leadership to identify opportunities for change and growth.
- Advance and highlight the firm’s DEI strengths and ensure the delivery of high quality content to our internal stakeholders and external constituents, including firm clients.
- Establish and maintain strong rapport and communications with practice groups, firm committees, and functional departments to leverage DEI-related marketing opportunities.
- Raise awareness, engage others, and express respectful and empathetic candor when addressing challenging and sensitive issues.
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills. Focus on ability to influence and sell the firm’s strengths to internal and external constituents and stakeholders, while fostering enthusiasm and engagement.
- Skilled at having candid conversations in a diplomatic and professional manner, with focus on building support and understanding.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Able to work with individuals at all levels to both listen empathetically and communicate authentically and with impact. Ability to deliver programs and clearly convey firm initiatives and policies by providing context and building support.
- Effective team building and management skills, with focus on change management. Ability to effectively build, manage and lead the DEI team.
- Strong problem-solving and organizational skills, including setting priorities, planning and implementation, and structuring project deliverables.
- Excellent analytical skills, with a track record of using data and metrics to evaluate needs, drive change and measure impact.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- The ideal candidate will have 10+ years of experience effectively leading high-functioning teams and working with senior management professionals to make a demonstrated impact on talent development and DEI. Must have experience being hands-on and working in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment. Bachelor’s degree required, additional advanced degree a plus.
Benefits and Compensation
The anticipated range for this position is: $172,000 – $233,500
Depending on the role, the actual base salary offered may depend upon a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and if applicable, the location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will be performing the job.
A discretionary bonus for eligible employees may also be available based on performance. Additional information about employee eligibility for benefits and discretionary bonus will be made available upon request.
COVID Vaccine Policy
The Firm requires all personnel to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to enter any of its offices or attend any Firm-sponsored off-site gatherings (including, but not limited to, team retreats, seminars, client sites) to ensure the safety and well-being of our employees and community and to support public health efforts. This position will require you to be in-office and/or attend off-site gatherings and, therefore, written proof of full vaccination will be required as a condition of employment. The Firm will comply with applicable law regarding the reasonable accommodation of individuals with disabilities and/or sincerely held religious beliefs.
Salary: $172,000 – $233,500, depending on location and experience
Date Active: 2.6.2023
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt