Conflicts & New Business Intake Analyst
New York, NY
This position will be primarily responsible for processing conflict requests with respect to new business intakes, lateral/new attorney hires and securities trading, and assisting with the implantation of walls to ensure that the Firm minimizes risk and avoids conflicts of interest with regard to current and potential clients. The position will work closely with the Conflicts Attorneys and Sr. Manager, Compliance & Conflicts Operations, in addition to providing critical support to the broader Conflicts team on a variety of related functions.
New Business Intake:
- Conduct conflict checks for attorneys on new matters, pitches, and corporate affiliate research requests, utilizing a variety of reference materials and information resources.
- Apply appropriate techniques for the review, analysis, and interpretation of complex search results as part of the conflict analysis and reporting process.
- Communicate in a prompt and succinct manner with the attorney or requestor to ascertain/gather additional information when required.
- Perform self-evaluative quality control checks of conflict of interest reports prior to distribution.
- Perform detailed and extensive corporate business structure research of potential clients, related parties, affiliates, and adversaries, using a variety of reference materials; recognize and understand the complexities of the corporate family tree structure and apply this knowledge to build corporate trees to ensure a complete conflict search is performed on organizational relationships.
- Assist Conflicts Attorneys in evaluating relationships between entities and individuals and incorporate those relationships into the conflicts database.
- Demonstrate a complete understanding of firm policy and department procedures regarding conflict checking and new business intake, including case captions, engagement letters, and outside counsel guidelines.
- Assist the Compliance Operations and Conflicts Attorney with the implementation and maintenance of walls utilizing IntappWalls.
- Adhere to sanctions procedures and perform relevant database checks.
- Assist Conflicts Attorneys as needed with questions relating to conflict reports.
- Provide on-call coverage when assigned.
- Perform research and analysis utilizing questionnaire data for lateral hires as well as new attorneys, summer associates, and secondees.
- Maintain tracking spreadsheets and coordinate filing of all documentation.
- Responsible for all securities trading process requests in accordance with the Firm’s securities trading guidelines/policies.
- Develop functional knowledge of key processes and procedures for the analyst team in order to substitute or provide back up for any team member immediately when needed.
- Any other responsibilities or special projects as assigned by management.
- 5+ years of relevant conflicts experience, preferably at a major law firm, preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced and high-pressure work environment.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines under time constraints.
- Possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral with a strong customer-focused approach.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills with the ability to exercise good judgment and make logical decisions.
- Excellent attention to detail, with a high degree of accuracy in order to skillfully gather, analyze and present information.
- Comprehensive knowledge of various research platforms with the ability to conduct thorough research and utilize suitable record keeping methodologies.
- Ability to define relationships and related parties in connection with conflict requests.
- Proficient in MS Office suite – some database management skills are a plus.
- Working knowledge of 3E Conflicts, Intapp Open and/or iManage Conflicts Manager (f/k/a Elegrity), Pitchbook, Dun & Bradstreet, World-check, Capital IQ and Accuity a plus.
- Anti-Money Laundering/Risk and Compliance experience a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience required.
Salary: Competitive based on experience
Date Active: 10.13.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt