New York, NY
Under the leadership and general direction of the CMO, the Communications Director will oversee the development and implementation of the firm’s external and internal communications initiatives. The Communications Director will work closely with firm leadership, his/her peers in the Business Development Department (BD Department), and across the firm’s other operational departments to implement all initiatives.
- Manage the positioning and messaging of the firm internally and externally by collaborating closely with firm leadership, the CMO, members of the BD Department and other the partners of the firm.
- Develop and execute strategies to raise the visibility and reputation of the firm and its lawyers globally in strategic verticals.
- Serve as a media/message advisor to all relevant stakeholders within the firm.
- Develop and maintain relationships with reporters and other media contacts to enhance the firm’s visibility.
- Identify, train and prepare lawyers in their interactions with the media.
- Serve as a presentation coach for lawyers and operations staff.
- In collaboration with the Marketing function, develop online and social media strategies, particularly supporting media relations campaigns in strategic areas.
- Consistently refine communications strategies to comply with best practices and to obtain the greatest return on investment for the firm.
- Collaborate with members of the BD Department to develop content and implement communications through various channels (e.g., digital and social media, website, placed and purchased media and public relations).
- Oversee the promotion of directory listings and awards.
- Conduct market analysis to identify appropriate brand awareness outlets based on firm strategy.
- Be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the team and acting as a significant contributor in all areas of communications, including other assignments provided by the CMO.
- Lead and manage internal communications across the firm, in collaboration with the Content function.
- Set clear benchmarks in all areas to monitor progress and measure success.
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, English or Business or J.D. is preferred.
- More than 10 years of experience in a successful communications role in a professional services environment; law-firm or legal profession background is required.
- Significant experience in strategic communications planning and implementation and in public relations/media is required.
- Direct management experience specifically related to talent selection/recruitment, managing performance, goal setting and delivering timely feedback.
- Ability to create a team environment where ideas can be shared, questions can be asked and individuals are accountable for their own actions.
- Exhibits leadership qualities and is able to inspire confidence, respect and trust across the department.
- Excellent communication skills required (writing, editing, coaching and presentation skills).
- Understanding of the pressures of working in a corporate environment and demonstrate potential for working well with attorneys who have a wide range of business development goals and marketing skills.
- Ability to work in an environment with shifting priorities to meet time-sensitive deadlines, as well as manage multiple projects simultaneously, including confidential matters.
- Focused on execution and achieving measurable results through superior project and team management skills.
- Well organized with a meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work confidently and collaboratively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Resourceful, driven attitude with a genuine desire and energy to use a “whatever it takes” approach to ensure team success.
Salary: Competitive based on experience
Date Active: 03-16-2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt