New York, NY; Chicago, IL; Washington, DC or Dallas, TX
The Client Service Manager (CSM) is responsible for managing the relationship between assigned practices and the Marketing and Business Development (MBD) Department as well as providing support for a variety of MBD activities. This position will work alongside other Client Service Managers and Marketing, Communications and Business Development professionals under the direction of the Senior Client Service Manager and practice group leaders of Corporate, Tax, and Private Wealth and other areas as may be necessary (“assigned practices”). For the assigned practices, the CSM is the primary point of contact for all marketing and business development requests and will partner with their MBD colleagues as an integrated team to ensure the attorneys receive high quality work product and a seamless service experience. In addition to providing relationship management and general marketing support, the CSM is expected to maintain a strong working knowledge of the assigned practices’ capabilities, experience, clients and individual attorneys’ expertise.
- Act as the MBD point of contact for lawyers from assigned practices; bringing fellow MBD colleagues into requests where needed and supporting certain activities autonomously.
- Develop and maintain strong, productive working relationships with lawyers in assigned practices.
- Develop and maintain a thorough and specific understanding of the capabilities of assigned practices, including prior experience, clients and industries served and distinguishing characteristics.
- Provide input and support on a variety of marketing and communications activities to ensure appropriate strategies and positioning are reflected such as directory listings, rankings and award submissions (Chambers, etc.), events, marketing collateral materials, and thought leadership, etc.
- Proactively identify opportunities in assigned practices for external promotion or client development activities, and work with appropriate MBD functional team members to execute on vetted opportunities.
- Support practice group leaders in the development and implementation of business and/or brand building plans.
- Manage practice marketing budgets, including regular reporting to practice leaders.
- Partnering with the pitch and proposal team and actively participate in RFP kick-off calls to help establish the response strategy for assigned practices.
- Work with the firm’s public relations team to identify and leverage deals and case wins, industry trends, client relationships and other information appropriate for media outreach.
- Work with events team and attorneys in assigned practices to develop client events and proprietary programming.
- Evaluate sponsorship opportunities, potential strategic alliances and partnerships.
- In coordination with the Business Development team, support firm-wide Business Development programs including: Client Feedback, Client Service Teams and lateral partner integration, as needed.
- This position does not have direct supervisory responsibilities, but contributes to the oversight of two Client Service Specialists.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business or related field, and five or more years’ related experience are required. Prior experience working in a large law firm is strongly preferred as is experience supporting assigned practices.
- Knowledge of services and capabilities of legal practices. Must develop credibility by building upon that knowledge, specific to the practices supported at the Firm. Basic understanding of the business of law firms.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship development and management skills. Must be able to develop meaningful, substantive relationships with a diverse group of attorneys and cultivate them over time. Must be similarly skilled in developing relationships with MBD colleagues and working effectively across functions within the department.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy.
- Professionalism and the ability to exercise independent judgment in the handling of complex relationships and competing priorities.
- Superior client service skills and instincts, including responsiveness, ownership, urgency, excellence, positivity and a solutions-orientation.
- Interest in working in an evolving environment and ability to maintain a positive attitude as a contributor to that change.
- Ability and availability to occasionally travel to other firm locations.
- Ability to understand and support the firm and Department’s goals, services, culture and strategy in order to represent the firm and the Department in a positive, professional manner.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute marketing-related materials, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: $130,000 to $175,000 based on experience
Date Active: 4.26.2023
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt