Under the direction of the Manager of Client Onboarding/Rates, the Client Accounting Coordinator is responsible for working as part of a team and with attorneys, assistants and timekeepers on providing financial support and information as it relates to time entries, accounts receivable, work in process and other client deliverables. The primary job responsibility is to provide timely and accurate client financial information as it pertains to audit letters and client accruals. Additional responsibilities include editing of time entries, assisting in the preparation of client billing in accordance with established firm and client policies and guidelines, and assisting with ebilling. The ideal candidate is highly organized and able to prioritize various responsibilities. The position requires a thorough understanding of time and billing systems and the client accounting function. The individual in this position will contribute to the overall success of the group by proactively following up on noted anomalies in billings or financial information with partners, timekeepers or team members, as appropriate.
Essential Job Requirements
Audit Inquiry and Client Accruals
- Provide attorneys and assistants with accurate and timely client financial information for audit letters, utilizing appropriate reports, systems and cut-off dates.
- Identify any alternative fee arrangements and provide accurate information for audit letters
- Prior to releasing such financial information, perform appropriate due diligence on the amounts by comparing such amounts to subsequent months billing amounts and WIP reports.
- Verify cut-off dates for requests for “updated” client financial information from any previous/repeated requests for client financial information. Reconcile such information as required ensuring accuracy and completeness.
- Maintain proper back up reports and reconciliations for all financial information supporting audit letter inquiries.
- Maintain an appropriate reminder system to provide monthly/quarterly accrual information to clients and partners in accordance with proscribed client deadlines, systems and methods. Ensure timely submission of all such accruals.
Accounts Receivable Analysis
- Provide ad-hoc analysis as requested for WIP, Time, Receipts and Unapplied Cash.
- Assist partners in making corrections, reductions and adjustments to client invoices and prepare timely write-offs of amounts deemed not collectible.
- Make requested corrections, transfers, and deletions to time entries; correct time entries so they conform to the Firm’s time narrative standards.
- Review time edit reports and verify that time entries conform to firm time narrative standards.
- Respond to requests for time entry corrections and ensure timely completion of same on a daily basis.
Assist and back up the eBilling function as required:
- Submit and post accurate client information to the eBilling vendors. Ensure timely submission of all eBilling invoices.
- Submit and maintain timekeeper rates on eBilling vendor sites.
- Assist with submission of billing accruals as needed.
- Escalate open issues to appropriate level of management for resolution.
Billing (Work In Progress)
Review pre-bills and make the corrections or edits to the underlying client/matter data:
- Ensure that client names and attorney names are consistent throughout.
- Ensure that there are no duplicate time entries.
- Ensure rate accuracy.
- Ensure consistency and accuracy among phases, tasks and activity codes for time entries and disbursements, if applicable.
- Ensure time and disbursement narratives are in accordance with firm and client policies and procedures
- Prepare and distribute prebills to attorneys or designated attorneys for review.
- Review and make all pre-bill edits, splits and corrections as required.
- Prepare final bills, including edits, using appropriate formats.
- Review complete billing package and deliver to partner for final review and authorization.
- File Billing Summary report and save copies to appropriate File-Site document management system folders.
- Review client billing File-Site folders, which detail the client and billing guidelines and requirements.
- Maintain File-Site folders and individual detailed partner / client billing instructions.
- Maintain billing files in an orderly manner.
- Provide support and/or assistance to the Chief Financial Officer, Director of Finance, Director of Revenue, Billing Supervisor, Partners and others as requested.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Provide excellent client service by maintaining a professional attitude as well as positive and cooperative relationship with all firm attorneys and staff of all levels as well as clients.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years of billing experience is preferred. Previous law firm or other professional services experience preferred. College graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Basic knowledge of computerized billing applications in a networked client/server environment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of Aderant Expert or Elite application preferred.
- Knowledge of electronic billing vendor systems and LEDES electronic billing.
- Ability to maintain professional relationships with all levels of firm personnel.
- Ability to prioritize a diverse workload in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to efficiently produce a complex and accurate written work product; with appropriate grammar, spelling and overall readability.
- Become familiar with and adhere to all firm policies and procedures.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all firm-related matters.
- Exhibit effective communication skills by demonstrating tact, diplomacy and discretion when presenting information and responding to questions from clients, attorneys, managers, etc.
- Must have a professional demeanor and appearance.
- Basic knowledge of office organization, workflow and procedures.
- Demonstrate initiative to learn new skills that will enhance performance of role.
- Ability to work as an integral member of the Billing Team and the Finance Department.
- Embrace change, increased responsibilities and adapt well in new environments.
- Able to work overtime when necessary.
- All other duties and special projects as assigned.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years of e-Billing experience is preferred. Previous law firm or accounting firm preferred. College graduates are encouraged to apply.
Salary: Highly competitive
Date Active: 5.3.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt