New York, NY
Premier, global, law firm are seeking a driven and results-oriented Business Manager, a new role, to partner closely with the Global Business Director for the firm’s Disputes unit in managing day-to-day operations, executing strategic objectives, and supporting firmwide initiatives with practice group leadership. Key areas of focus include financial performance, business process efficiency, strategic growth, and lawyer and staff performance, development, recruitment and morale. The Business Manager will liaise with partners, other lawyers and business services departments across the firm globally, including Business Development & Marketing, Financial Services, Global Technology Solutions, Human Resources, Knowledge & Client Value, Legal Recruiting and Professional Development, among others.
Strategic Planning and Execution
- Collaborate in the development and execution of practice group and individual partner business plans in alignment with firm and business unit strategy.
- Support preparation and management of annual practice group budgets.
- Prepare presentations to support practice group coordination on strategic growth, financial performance, business development, practice management, personnel matters, and other operational issues.
- Review, analyze and report on key performance indicators, and recommend and execute appropriate actions, to optimize lawyer headcount, activity levels, staffing and performance.
- Assist in overseeing time entry compliance, monitoring inventory (unbilled time and accounts receivable), and managing billing and collection efficiency to maximize revenue and profitability.
- Support practice group, client and matter profitability objectives, including implementing billing rate increases, optimizing matter pricing and budgeting, and managing discounts and alternative fee arrangements, in collaboration with partners and the firm’s Finance and Legal Project Management teams.
- Prepare ad hoc analyses on a broad range of issues critical to practice group management, success and profitability.
Talent Management, Recruiting, Integration and Departures
- Assist with staffing and other resource allocation of lawyers and staff in the practice to optimize client service, business efficiency and profitability.
- Support execution of lateral recruiting strategies for partners, associates and business services staff, including needs analysis, evaluating prospective candidates, coordinating financial modeling, and drafting recommendation memoranda.
- Facilitate successful onboarding and integration of new lawyers and team members.
- Support seamless transitions for departing lawyers to maintain business continuity and operational efficiency.
Human Resources and Professional Development
- Partner with practice leadership, Human Resources and Professional Development on associate performance reviews and lawyer development, diversity and inclusion, mentoring, and wellness initiatives.
- Identify and implement lawyer and staff training programs in coordination with the practice groups and Professional Development team.
- Support compensation processes at all levels.
- Liaise with practice leadership and Human Resources on a broad range of personnel matters, including, for example, leaves of absence, secondments and terminations.
- Lead and participate in high value cross-practice and firm initiatives and special projects.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Exhibits strong work ethic, takes ownership of responsibilities, approaches issues with analytical rigor, and proactively seeks to learn, contribute and add value.
- Possesses exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish relationships and work effectively with lawyers and business services colleagues at all levels.
- Demonstrates sound business acumen and ability to learn and execute operational processes and implement efficiencies.
- Possesses strong organizational and project management skills, and the ability to operate independently, collaborate and delegate effectively.
- Produces work product that is analytical, well-organized and attentive to detail.
- Able to effectively juggle, prioritize and execute work in multiple workstreams in fast-paced and fluid environment.
- Highly adept with Excel and PowerPoint, and comfortable and conversant with technology and the ability to learn and utilize new tools.
- Exercises exceptional judgment and maintains the highest degree of discretion with confidential and sensitive information.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required and a J.D. or M.B.A. preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a legal, professional services or other commercial business setting.
- Experience working across office locations, cultures and time zones.
Physical Activity/Other Miscellaneous
- Able to work extended hours and communicate outside of standard business hours as needed.
Salary: $150,000.00-$225,000.00, dependent on experience
Date Active: 9.6.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt